Just curious who else is living super frugal

Thank you all for thew information about taxes. I think I understand now. This is because the US has basically self assessment whereas we fill in our tax returns and the government works out what our contribution will be. Years ago, we had a very similar system, there was a married persons allowance, tax relief on mortgages and tax relief for children of school age etc. Then the government changed everything. Now every working person is taxed as a single person, no relief on mortgages of for children. They just took that all away. There is child tax credit, which is paid on a sliding scale to families earning less than £40,000 a year. It used to be about £50,000, but last year they reduced it. There is also working tax credit which is paid to low earners, to enable people to take low paid employment, or part time employment. In April, the beginning of our tax year, they will be reducing these benefits too!

Many people are finding it increasingly hard to make ends meet here, as I know they are in the US. What really annoys people here is the fact that the government has used tax payers money to bail out banks which are still paying their employees massive bonuses and their shareholders decent dividends! Meanwhile, poor old Joe Muggins, (the ordinary man in the street), struggles to get by! While the Prime Minister tells us that he understands our problems. I very much doubt it!!!

I was doing bagged dog food at over $1.50lb. I give them table scraps. We eat healthy and bland so that's not a big deal. A chicken leg quarter everyday and a couple times a week I throw in eggs, tuna, or other meat. I don't do the supplements or get too fancy. They do eat organic chicken feed and chicken treats when it spills in their yard. For the most part I just throw out a chicken leg. Their coats are shiny again and the female no longer has limps from arthritis that the vet couldn't figure out. I tried to find a vet or someone to consult with to make sure I didn't harm them but there is no one closer than 300 miles to be found. All I knew was that they weren't doing well on the kibble. They almost immediately couldn't stomach the kibble so I ended up giving the chickens the last of the dog food.

Save those banks fees!! The ATM is the biggest money drain out there.

As for health insurance. Ours is supposed to be good but I find that it doesn't cover what we need. At all. I have been learning natural health as a last recourse to treat the things we can't afford to medicate and am finding we are getting healthier, it is cheaper, often works better and no side effects. I like to use Dr Mercola's website for reference. I don't necessarily agree with what he advocates but the other consumers will post discussion on all the different options.

Quote:
hear hear! Let's see him try to get by and provide for a family on the amount he allows us to live on. Let's hope he's out at the next elections.

tax credits are idiocy... just don't take the tax if you have to pay it back anyway!

Quote:
We have been doing slow life style changes to improve health. We are upping our efforts and bringing our A game now. Looking at a caveman type diet. Will save money on groceries too. Majorly plant based and deer meat fit in with the diet and its things we can do on the cheap with garden and hunting on my parents land. Get some elderberry bushes if you can. I bought some last year and am hopefully in another year or so I can start making syrup. They are pretty nice looking bushes too. Where all are you looking for natural health information? I would love to get a good book or two. Anyone else have suggestions on that?

there are literally TONS of books on herbal health and home remedies out there..
Browse on Amazon and often you can find the books used there for just a dollar or so. I have been using herbs, spices, food and homeopathics with my family for well over a decade (some things even longer- tea tree oil). As a result we rarely visit a dr. For most things I find tea tree oil, spices in my kitchen and good old chicken noodle soup (homemade of course) will fix anything!
Sea salt
apple cider vinegar
honey- local and raw
rosemary
ginger
garlic
onion
cinnamon
cloves
.. sounds like a recipe!
find a book that appeals to you or do a search for websites with grandma's home remedies.
Before we started this I would have sinus infections, bronchitis, pneumonia yearly or more and kids were often with whatever was going around and ear infections one after another.
Also remember sugar is a major immune system suppressant, avoid it as much as possible as well as artificial flavors, colors and preservatives- they are not your friend!

Quote:
politicians aren't much different either side of the pond. happy to take our money and spend it where they decide. sure they know better how to spend it than we do. certainly quick to tell us it's for our own good. more than enough waste and foolishness to go around.
and you're right, they don't get it. anyone who thinks they know my life better than I do is either a fool or simply not to be trusted.

A Paleo diet is a good way to go. Other than weight loss, people usually see a reduction in arthritis symptoms, type 2 diabetes issues, gout, etc...

For me, I started at low carb and have slowly morphed to more paleo over the years. So far I cured my hypertension and blood sugar issues. Still need to lose more weight, but I just recently discovered dairy was causing stomach issues. Dairy is out until things clear up so I will see if that makes a difference on the weightloss front.

Quote:
I find that a deeply frightening idea
ep.gif

Quote:
politicians aren't much different either side of the pond. happy to take our money and spend it where they decide. sure they know better how to spend it than we do. certainly quick to tell us it's for our own good. more than enough waste and foolishness to go around.
and you're right, they don't get it. anyone who thinks they know my life better than I do is either a fool or simply not to be trusted.

Oh yeah, you are right about that one!

Consignment shops, thrift stores (for the couple of times a year that I DO shop), dumpster diving, teenage son and husband share clothes, homemade gifts, add extra pasta to the hamburger helper to stretch it, only grocery shop every 1 to 1 1/2 months, etc. We cut back wherever we can... not perfect, but not living beyond our means.

My sister in law has a shoebox of coupons that they open a separate lane at the store to handle her purchases. I also know someone who separates the 2 ply TP into 2 separate rolls.

Back
Top Bottom