Just curious? Who names all their chickens and who doesn't?

They are all named and loved as pets! Ginger, Snap, Cinnamon, Bun, Chickers, Peas, Midnight, Shadow, Buffy, Buttercup and Soxs.

We name all our chickens
big_smile.png
even if we are going to get rid of them later. We don't name all of them at once - we just keep thinkin about a name that suits the certain chicken. Names make it much easier when you are trying to talk about a certain chicken and so others know which one you are talking about
smile.png

i love coming up with names all mine are named except for 5 of the babies some of our names are daisy, cammie, mirabella, jamie, bonnie, sauske (it's a japanese name) Momo(our roo) jasmine, lorelei, and more... javascript:insert_text('
D.gif
',%20'');

We name ours as well. 2 Buff Orps answer to Goldie and Peaches, Peaches so named because her butt (due to another hens bad picking habit) was bare and red like a big ripe peach, especially when her fuzz grew in. The picker, along the others so inclined have since been culled. Our Golde-laced Wyandotte is named Tammy (Wynette). The most vocal hen, an Isa Brown, is named Stevie (Tyler). Kim, my wife is an Aerosmith fan.

I treat all of my birdies like pets, I don't even eat poultry meat, and I've never culled a chicken in my life. I'm in 4-H, also, and they are all my babies!
As of right now, I have 12 standards, 3 Polishes (they have their own seperate area), and 22 banties.
Their names are...
Standards- Pepe (rooster) Peach, Pear, PolkaDot, JoJo, Sienna, Happy Feet, Blondie, Robin, Hammy, Tulip, and Sweetheart.
Polishes- Carlos (rooster) Sister Mary, and Easter
Banties- Felix (rooster) Courage (rooster) Henrietta, Hazel, Juniper, Cherry, Magnolia, Filbert (rooster), Pudgie (rooster), Petunia, Harriet, Harold (rooster), Jonathan (rooster), Penelope, Annabelle, Leo (rooster), Matilda, Dorothy, Alice, Odessa, Daphne, and Elsie.

It took a while to come up with all of the names- and yes, I do have them all memorized and recognizable- but some of them respond to their names, and I'm trying to convince everyone else in my family to call them by name, too. They do, but the poor chicks always get mixed up.
smile.png

We have 7 and they're all named. My niece wouldn't have it any other way. Since the two australorps look exactly alike, and so do two of the buffs, some of the names are interchangeable, but they don't seem to mind.
smile.png
One ended up being a rooster and underwent a name change; another is looking like it may also be a rooster. We had a rooster a while ago who started attacking people so we found him a new home. DH thinks we should eat the buff who might be a rooster because the established rooster is a really good one and he doesn't see the need to feed another bird that can't lay eggs. We eat meat, including chicken, but I can't bring myself to eat one I know by name. If we raised a flock for butchering, I'd keep them separate and not name them or get to know them. Also, my niece would probably have a breakdown if we ate Sophia.

They aren't pets in the same way my dogs are, but we enjoy watching them in their yard and going in to give them treats. As soon as they see me open the back door, or sometimes if they see me through the door, they start running back in forth in front of the gate to their yard. They can't wait to see if I've brought them something. We just got into this about a year ago. I had no idea how entertaining chickens are!

If we can tell the chickens apart (have four young white crested black Polish chicks so no names there) we name them so we can talk about a chicken and the other person knows which one it is. The last two chicks hatched last year were "Jack and Jill". Recently Jill has been "hen napped" by another rooster. Poor Jack seems lost. Too many roosters but can't kill them unless I see them being very aggressive to other chickens. I have one black duck (Ebony)I think I'm going to have to have DH put down because he's gotten really mean to the chickens this spring. It's the only duck I have (and one goose- Big Bird - a buddy). I think but can't prove Ebony, killed one of my favorite hens on a rainy day we kept them in their coop/pen.

I have eight chicks (hatched April 1st) in the small coop. I'm sure two of them are roosters but sure hope there's several hens in the group to help even out the ratio. Yesterday we saw Jack standing by the little coop looking inside. DH said he was probably picking out his hen. Ü

I have one hen, Oreo, that is broody and sitting one one guinea egg and three hen eggs. She is a great mother!

In a day or two I'll be starting 7 guinea eggs in my incubator. When the keets go from the brooder into the little coop the chicks will be moved out with the main group. The only guinea I have named is one light gray/white in color named "Pearl". I can't tell the rest of them apart even though we're down to four due to foxes, hawks etc. Thankfully at least one is a hen!

Back
Top Bottom