Just curious? Who names all their chickens and who doesn't?

I don't name my chickens as individuals. I do keep 3 to 4 roosters in an age progression arrangement for the flock; the current oldest Alpha rooster has the title of "Mr. Studly" until he gets replaced by the next "Mr. Studly". I find that having an age progression keeps the Rooster fighting for pecking order/breeding rights to a minimum. Twice now, I've had the Alpha rooster die from an apparent heart attack while trying to keep up with the up & coming Roos. "Mr. Studly" is dead----Long Live "Mr. Studly"

Zaxby's2 :

We name ours, but we only have six. It's not a big deal whether people name their chickens or not.

x2. I have 6 named chickens.
smile.png

I am still quite new to chicken keeping and now have eight chickens 4 black copper Marans named Gertie, Kirsty, Margo and Faith and the new additions are warrens Named cluck, dolly, sky and sugar.
The kids named sky and sugar I am guilty of naming the others lol
big_smile.png

I feel I can bond with them better if they have names I know it will be hard though if I ever loose any of them but I would find it hard even if they were all called chuck or chicken .

So far we have Posy and Pootle (silkies) and Pikelet and Footnip-she nips the silkies feet.We have 4 others to name but they are new so waiting for their personalities to show.I was planning names for them i.e. Footnip was going to be callled Pipkin until she nipped the silkies feet.We had Perkin the cockeral but he has gone to a new home for breeding on account of the noise.No one actually complained but we live in a built up area so it was not fair really on the neighbours.

I have names picked out but have not attached them to any chickens yet until I am sure I have all hens. They are 5 weeks old , and I am still waiting to be sure:confused:

I have 7 Orpington's and 6 unknown chickens and I have named all of the Orpington's and am starting to name the unknown chickens. Some of the names are Nasty Girl (which she is) Henrietta, Midnite, Tiny, Tommy the rooster. I haven't named the 3 black babies born in Nov yet. They are starting to lay now. The only barred rock I named was the rooster-Charlie.

I name each chicken as soon as I receive them. Some refuse the first name I try out ~ looking at me as if saying," Who you tawking to"? So, it might take a few tries, but each chicken has her own name.

As of yesterday (and because of this thread) we have finished naming our chickens and our roo. We already had Penunia and now we also have Rose, Opal, Pearl, Gertrude and Hattie and our roo is Tobias (Toby for short).
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom