Just curious? Who names all their chickens and who doesn't?

mississippifarmboy

collects slightly damaged strays
12 Years
Oct 22, 2008
Glen, Mississippi. 40+ chicken years
I've had some of my friends on here (who shall remain un-named) giving me a hard time.
tongue.png
So I thought I'd just ask.

We have a few odd balls that the wife or kids have named, but none of my chickens have names. I just shake the feed bucket and holler "come here chickens" and they all come running.

So depending on how you look at it, either none of mine have names, or they are all named "chickens".
hide.gif

k, 'fess up time.

How many of you have all your chickens named?

caf.gif

i have some/most of them named... but then i kinda stopped naming them cause it made me saddder when they got killed by something.

Ours are named.

Some have good names like Francine, Jessica and Abby. Those are usually the more friendly ones. The others have names that we call them to distinguish which chicken we are talking about. Some of those names aren't so nice. I have a habit of calling one of mine "donkey" just because that is the nicest word I can come up with for his/her behavior.

I don't name mine until they lay an egg or crow, but even then not all have "sticky" names.

That is: I tend to name them descriptor names, as it is easier on the DH. So we have:

Gimpy, Dottie, Spottie, Stoopid, Baroness Von Poofienstien, Fugly, Snuggles, Runt, Nosey, Chip1, Chip2, Illusion, Red, Orange, Yellow, Blue, Banshee, Mr. T, and so on.

ETA: if a chicken is so non-descript that I can't seem to remember it's name, then I tend not to name them.

Last edited:
Well since I'm terrible at coming up with animal names no, none of my chickens have ever been named. It's just to convenient to yell "Here chick, chick, chick" and the whole crowd comes running, so, who needs a name anyway!

The rabbits are all Bun-Bun, the guina pigs of long ago were all "Guinea", except for Mr. Pig, and I've had more then one cat named Kitty.
I have a terrible track record for naming and no imagination!

We've boldly gone forth and named all four of our chicks. This is our first time with chickens and we're only planning to keep them for eggs. My daughter is the one who really wanted to name them. I'm pretty sure they'll never answer to their names - ha - but it's nice to be able to distinguish them from one another when telling funny stories about the cute things they're doing.

Oh - I'm brand new here. This is my first post.
big_smile.png

Zaxby's2 :

We name ours, but we only have six. It's not a big deal whether people name their chickens or not.

It is if you are a namer, and you have chicken block
wink.png

We have 13 laying hens. 2 are named, "Hennriata (sp) a friend gave to us... She so friendly, she follows us everywhere.
and another 1 "Goldey," the kids names her.. She's a buff orphington.. our only one

Back
Top Bottom