Just curious? Who names all their chickens and who doesn't?

Only a few of ours are named - the ones that you can tell the difference. We have 16. Most of ours are Buffs - so we just call them "Girl" - except the one with a bald head - she has many different (and not so nice) names because of her odd and sometimes irritating behaviors. Our kids name most of them and sometimes they are very interesting names - Chestnut, Peepers, Awesome, Pipsqueak, Pineapple, Quaker, Buckbeak (Bucky), Anaconda (Ana), Ralphie (she's a pullet), Prissy.

New to this forum..our first post.

We have 34 laying hens and one ornery buff laced polish rooster, 15~4 week old layers, and 16 broiler chickens. We name most of our chickens funny (at least funny to us), even stupid names. Our one and only rooster is Ziggy Stardust, cause well that was the most flamboyant name we could come up with. Of the 34 laying hens, Lady Gaga is our buff laced polish banty, Barack O' Brahma is one of the bramha hens, all 6 of the Barred plymouth Rocks are Toby, all 6 of the Red Star are Chicken Nugget, the two RIR are Big Red and Lil' Red, white leghorns are Foghorn and Leghorn (how original right), One mystery bird that I think is a partridge plymouth rock is Liza Minelle, Buff Orpington is Goldie, a silver spangled hamburg named Pocahontas,Black Beak one of our Jersey Giants, all 15 of the meat broilers are named Dave, and no names yet for the 4 week old babies....I'm sure we come up with some funny ones for them too. The whole family takes part in the naming of the ladies. It's funny to descibe the chicken with their "names" to people that visit. Some get it, some don't. Guess all that matters is that we are laughing.
big_smile.png

Mine are named - only 9 but I really do think a few of them know theirs. Some are after MMA fighters (they were the runts in the bucket-o-chicks I bought them from). Others are just silly. I'm convinced that Chick Liddell and Memphis Belle (two barred rocks) get it. Gracie, the silkie? Well......not so much.
wink.png

As you can see from my sig we name our breeding pairs but if there's a bunch of girls they may all get the same name i.e. the dark brahma hens are all called Dovey for their sweet docile personality.... re: naming babies they have to survive the cull or really distinguish themselves (which is dangerous because the naming then probably means escape from freezer camp thus 1 more to feed overwinter). My fave name is Mezzo Forte - my first chickens were actually given to me - in the bunch were 3 roos - Mr Big (PBR), Mr Little (RIR), and...well i didn't want to call him Mr Medium that just seemed lame and being a dark brahma he was too pretty to be "mr. medium" - but he had the loudest song so in jest i named him Mezzo Forte and i always explained to visitors that he was actually the loudest - he was a great ambassador because of this joke. MEzzo Forte II took me to the Royal Winter Fair in 2008 in Toronto (this is a national show) and he took home a 3rd place ribbon which was the highest ribbon for a dark brahma - 1st & 2nd went to light brahma roos which i don't kno wif it's the same for you folks but they seem to be breeding those lights awful big, dare i say even too big for the standard. Just justifying why my dark didn't take 1st.
smile.png
RIght now the nickname for my backup dark brahma roo is (other then Mr Backup Roo) .... "Pianissimo". This however is a comment on his smaller size, not his volume level.

Only our breeding roo (we only keep one) and the hens get names. If any of the chicks turn out to be hens, they get names. The roos are sold or given away. I only name them so I can tell dad who is laying and who's getting on my nerves.

We named our 4 girls; my daughter named hers 'Blackberry', my son named his Rosie posie marabella (?) ; my wife named hers Truly Scrumptuous and I named mine Luna Lovegood. Of course our dog is named Muffin, so we had a precedent for off the wall bizarro names, but it makes it fun for the kids and like others say, helps distinguish them - although we've noticed they each have very distinct personalities, even at 8 weeks. We did quite like Gregory Peck and Princess Layer, as well as Sir Edmund Henery but that was starting to get really out there.......

All our chooks have names, theres Big Bird, Gerald, Cowboy and Maybe Peanut (the roosters) and the hens are named Freckles, Miss Silkie, Pinkie, Ginger, Scapegrace, Timber, Alpha, Munchie, Macho, Herbie, Midnight, Escape Artist, Old Bird and Bandit, plus new silkies to name soon hopefully!!(hatching Saturday!!)

All my chickens have names, here's my list

Patch
Nora
Vee
George
Elena
Bella
Alice
Asia
Maysan
Mallory
Major