Just done bumblefoot surgery - advice/reassurance please!

Soaking in warm epsom salt water will definitely help draw the infection out (regular warm saltwater will work too.) If you decide to go in there again to extract more infection, dont be afraid to squeeze the heck out of the footpad, manipulate the footpad and squeeze hard to get all the infection out...dont worry about all the blood. Soak again and squeeze again if necessary. Then soak a piece of gauze in iodine, put an antibiotic ointment on top of the iodine soaked piece of gauze and place it directly on top of the hole and wrap it up. Leave it on for 2 days then remove the gauze. Repeat with iodine on gauze and ointment, rewrap and leave it for another 2 days...it should be healed by the end of the 4th day. However if there is still swelling in the foot/leg, consult you vet. It's possible the infection is trying to make its way to the bone. Once the infection gets the bone, the prognosis isnt good at all. Follow through with the injections you are currently doing. Good luck.

Quote:
Um, did you read my original post? She's on 0.1ml a day intramuscular Pen&Strep antibiotic injection and terramycin antibiotic spray directly onto the wound site, on the direction of my vet. I've not been recommended to give her any other meds apart from Ivermectin drops to deal with a few beasties I saw on her...

The swelling might take a few days to go down, but the heat should subside. It has been 4 days with my Elly, and she is still not back to normal foot size. BUT she is not holding it up or limping either and has no heat. Could she have gotten any kind of infection from anything that she was walking on before you got it covered up after the surgery?

are you able to take any photos of the foot?

Quote:
I don't think so. She was in a clean cardboard box and I wiped/sprayed the wound again before I bandaged it. I think she just has a really big rip-roaring pussy bumble, that's all. Looking at photos of other bumblefeet, hers is much bigger and more swollen. I changed her bandages just now, and changed my mind too. I decided to soak and squeeze some more, and managed to get more pus out. Also some more hard gunk, but I'm still not sure I got it all. It's really hard to tell under all that blood dripping out. I gave her her second injection, and she's still looking bright and alert and eating well, so hopefully she'll improve soon...

I have a roo with a very swollen foot, hot to touch. He does walk on it. He is missing a toenail but there is no other signs of an injury. I am googling bumble foot now. Could this be my problem? I gave 1/4cc of Penn day before yesterday.

Ok, just looked. He does have a red spot between the pad and toes. I am looking up treatment!

Last edited:
If you soak and scrub gently till the foot's clean, the obvious sign of bumblefoot is a round black scab somewhere on the foot...

Hey, how's Tripod doing now? Or was it trinity? Or Scooper? I forget what you ended up calling her...

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to check out "Pig" this evening. His name is Pig because he hangs out in my farrowing barn with my sows and babies. He is very sweet and loves to be held. I am so glad I caught this thread, now at least I know where to start. I am trying to decide what I am going to do for the wrap. Since he hangs out in the farrowing barn he walks through water puddles on the cement floor. I keep my barn clean but there is no way to totally keep the germs out. I really don't want to pen him up if I can keep from it. I'm thinking soak it every day and re-bandage with neosporin. I am going to give him a shot again also.

Trinity is great! She lays a beautiful olive colored egg. Seems to be happy and content despite the heat we are having here. I plan to get some more pictures posted. She is penned in a safe, large coop area with about 35 hens and 3 roos. She still roost and hangs around the hens she grew up with. Thanks for asking!

Back
Top Bottom