Just feeding whatever...

Lilion

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 28, 2014
Kinda SW MO
I can't find the answer, so...

I've not gotten a single brand of food and stuck with it. For a while we fed grower, then we switched to layer pellets when the chickens were older, but paid no attention to brand. I normally get food from a local feed store. It's Purina layer pellets. But if I think if it on a weekend when they're closed, I've grabbed whatever was cheapest from TSC. I mean, I've switched it up a few times. I want to go to all flock since I have a rooster but my husband picked up layer last time again.

Is it bad for them if I switch feed a lot, just buying wherever I am? Do I need to find a certain feed and stick with it? I'm getting an egg a day from 2 of my girls and 5 a week from the 3rd. They've been totally healthy. I do feed them scraps and even some scratch as treats.

My question was if there was some problem just buying a bag of different brands whenever or if one brand should be stuck to.
If your chickens eat each kind of food, and seem to do fine, then the brand-switching is not a problem.

Most brands of chicken food are quite similar. If you match a few important nutrition points (like percent protein), they are even fewer differences from one brand to another.

Switching from chick starter to layer may be a bigger difference than switching from one brand of layer to another brand of layer, or one brand of chick starter to another brand of chick starter.

My flock of 14 ducks have never cared if I got the feed at Rural King or TSC. As long as they get fed which they surely do it doesn't matter to them where it came from. They have all stayed healthy so I haven't really paid that much attention to what is in each other than to make sure they get Niacin for their legs. I did loan some of them out for a University study on Duck Feed and the student I let have them was trying all sorts of different feeds on them. Interesting enough none of the flock he had, part of mine and part of another person's in Michigan would touch the Mauzi Water Fowl food which was supposed to be one of the best. I think I spelled the feed wrong but most people's ducks love it. Mine and the rest of the flock from someone else would not touch it. That was the only feed they would never touch. Sorry I jumped in here, I know you have chickens but I know they are all birds.

Yes, they have a much higher calcium level than mealworms have, but it is still not high enough to matter much. The labels I've read show them having a calcium percent ranging from less than 1% (similar to chick starter) up to around 5% (a little higher than most layer feeds.) Those levels in chicken feed are meant to provide all the calcium a chicken needs if they eat nothing else all day-- which is NOT the way anyone recommends using black soldier fly larvae!

For any reasonable amount of either treat, they don't give enough calcium to matter much.
Good grief- I give up ;-) lol.... people are WAY too literal and "ate up" on this food issue....haha pun intended!!
NEVER implied to give them (BSFL) as their SOURCE of calcium!?! But even your stats prove it's pretty good for a "treat"!!
I feed my chickens layer feed- Going WAYYY back to my original post, I was asking if anyone had a problem with it- as it's 'newer'- saw first time in fall... "Purina Layena PLUS Omega 3" mini-pellets.
I was nicely trying to tell someone to not feed too many scraps and extras and if they want to feed a nice snack was simply pointing out that they are better than mealworms....won't even go there to say I don't like how most are sourced from China- WHO knows whose feather's that'll ruffle 🤣

Point was also (esp) that it's another good source of ADDITIONAL different source of protein needed for times of stress such as when they're molting... kinda like scrambled or chopped eggs or SMALL amts of greek yogurt/kefir to also provide some probiotics....
Who knows who that will get going 🤣
Peace out y'all....back to worrying about REAL serious problems- not food debates ;-)

I wanted to make sure that your comment about "a lot more calcium" didn't get taken too far by anyone (you or someone new to chickens), and lead to a problem. In the past few months, I have seen at least two cases where people honestly thought certain foods were high enough in calcium to be the main source in a layer's diet-- but the foods in question were horribly deficient for a laying hen, even though they would be "good sources" of calcium to a person.

Yes, as a treat they are fine.
I hear ya- like I said- WAY too intense for me and I'm just gonna peace out and keep my big mouth shut- cause you are right- and people can be VERY, well, let's say well meaning and not so informed ;-)
I will not comment further!! Cause I AM tired dealing with two sick chickies and what I had meant to say without even looking back at what I did say is that it's "a lot more calcium THAN MEALWORMS"....but yeah- can see someone saying "but I saw someone say they had LOTS of calcium"....
They are conveniently forgetting the advice EVERYWHERE and then some that NOTHING be more than 10% of their diet above their fully balanced commercially made food ;-)

best of luck- good lookin out!!

I also buy whatever is on sale for my 14 Ducks. If I am in Rural King and they have a sale they will get that brand and if TSC and find a bargain they will get that brand. However they do get a scoop of layer, all flock, duck food and scratch grains. I mix it all together. The All flock is granular and the rest is pellets except of course for the scratch grains. I have never had a sick duck or any problems with any of them so I don't see any harm in doing that with my own flock. Good luck with yours.

It's not like I'm feeding them separately. I have 1 rooster and 3 hens. I've read that layer isn't good for roosters and the all-flock protein is good for everyone, so best to feed all flock and offer oyster shell on the side.

But that's not really my question. My question was if there was some problem just buying a bag of different brands whenever or if one brand should be stuck to.
It SHOULD be ;-) but sounds like so far your girls have been doing good adjusting! Can't get any more eggs really at least- have you noticed any health issues?? If they're happy and healthy then rejoice and keep on truckin' girl! I'm LONGING for those days...

Back
Top Bottom