Just for fun - colorful flock in VA.

canesisters

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 18, 2011
Virginia
This summer has been an adventure in raising my first flock of chickens (and one accidental roo). According to the 'rules of chicken space' I have room for 10-12 happy birds. Right now I have 6. In the spring I'd like to add a few more..... but which breeds.....????
My original plan was to pick breeds based on their egg colors. Well, my blue egg layer died at only a couple of weeks old. My green egg layer is either hasn't started laying yet or is laying brown eggs. My Sussexs and Wynadottes are laying eggs so close in color that I can't tell them apart. Oh well, they are still lovely little miracles every day.
Here's a pict from a couple of months ago.

I've got the red/chestnut with black and white speckles. I've got black and white lacing. I've got ... well, Candy looks like she's wearing tweed (between the two SLW).
SO, giving up the colorful egg basket and striving for a colorful chicken yard - what breeds would you suggest?
This is just for fun so make a suggestion - post some pictures - maybe even suggest a breeder in MD, VA, NC, TN that I could pick up a chick or 2 from.

I suggest a Buff colored chickens,Black with a green sheen,white,and a lighter red.
When we get chickens next april,we are going to order chickens.
The company is Murray Mcmurray hatcheries.
They have a clean facility,lot's of breeds and colors and ship them all over the U.S.
You can also mix and match different breeds to gat a flock you like.
The only problem is the min. quantity is 25 chicks so you can split an order with some one.

I'd rather not order them by mail. If at all possible, I'd like to pick them up from a local breeder. BUT, since I'd like to get a few more breeds before I reach my 'limit', I'd only want to get 1 or 2 chicks.

Maybe a polish would add a little pizazz to the yard. Or one of those blue laced red wyandottes
wink.png

For color and funk, I'd have to suggest a cochin(white or buff). Or maybe a buff brahma. If you want something with a crest maybe an appenzeller or brabanter.(polish don't do good in mixed flocks or free ranging) I love the blue laced red wyandottes, very pretty.
Barnvelders are really cool and lay chocolate colored eggs.
Or some easter eggers or americaunas, that are already laying colored eggs.

Wildriverswolf90 - THANK YOU for all the suggestions. I didn't know Barnvelders layed choc. eggs. I'll have to check into that breed. My girls are strictly pen-kept so free ranging problems aren't an issue. My coop is inside the fenced yard, which is ruled by the dogs - who are WAY too intently interested in the chickens.
I was visiting an old friend this weekend and, of course, HAD to go see her chickens. She has several blue egg laying EE's so I'm thinking that I might ask her if I can have some to try and hatch. She also has.... um... Brahmas (white with the dark neck & tail and feathered feet?).

Bucky52, I'm in southern Dinwiddie county. Nearly in Brunswick.

Of course, there's always the big swap in the spring up near Ashland. PLENTY of breeds to choose from there, and that's where I got the original flock.

I live in Louisa and have a small flock of golden laced Wyandottes, and Black Cochin. Let me know if you would like to own a few and I'll come up with a reasonable price. None are babies but all are under 6 months.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom