Just found a Rooster in my flock

VespaGirl

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 2, 2012
Bay Area-California
Just got conformation we do indeed have a Rooster in our flock. We have 11 hens and 1 Rooster. Were we live we can keep a Rooster-although I don't know if my neighbors will love the crowing. He does not do it that much now but I guess it could change. He is about 5 months and starting to peck my dog. But luckily he likes me and I can shoo him away-although I do have to confess it is kinda funny seeing a chicken come from the backyard to peck my dogs butt. I guess the question I have is it really that great to keep a rooster.? The thought of fertile eggs makes me kind of sick but I don't know why. I guess I am just scared we are going to give him away and they will eat him. Any advice would we nice!! Oh I free range the chickens. They have complete run of the backyard with a solar operated chicken door. We also have 2 Nigerian Dwarf goats and a 3 year old toddler.

I like having a rooster, and with 11 hens he'll be a very happy one! They are good for keeping an eye out for predators when they are free ranging. If it were me I'd keep him unless he becomes people-aggressive.

Also, the fertile egg thing is really not a big deal. All it means is that there are cells capable of creating a chick in there, and they won't start becoming a chick unless they're incubated. I was freaked out at first too until I could barely see a difference in the egg :p

I guess I always had a vision of this nasty blood
Spot on the egg-but apparently that's not how it looks at all. But I read all these horror story's about roosters wanting to peck kids eyes out and since I have an almost 4 years old who is always outside and has handeled this same chicken and gotten a little peck (hence her (now his) name Aurora-the biter). And him pecking at my dog-not that my dog couldn't handle it. So the possible meanness scares me. He is around 5 months now. At what point can you tell if they will be nasty? And he doesn't crow that much but will it become more? My neighbors won't be happy about that I'm sure.

Aggressive pecking is different then curious pecking. Did he try and peck your son more than once in a row? Were his hackles raised? Does he pursue you guys? Does he fly up at you? Peck and hold on with his beak? These are all signs of aggression that I wouldn't tolerate with a small child. If he looks like he's getting too big for his britches I'd just get rid of him. He should start getting his hormone boost now, and what it does completely depends on the bird. He may crow a lot...he may not.

Agreed on aggression the trouble is that if your kids get attached to him it's hard to get rid of that roo!

You can't take chances with a 3 year old child. Unless you can properly supervise the rooster and the toddler at all times, you need to give the rooster away. A rooster flogging hurts. And to a toddler whose head is only a few feet from the ground a rooster flogging may mean the loss of an eye.

Don't take chances. Rehome the rooster.

You can't take chances with a 3 year old child. Unless you can properly supervise the rooster and the toddler at all times, you need to give the rooster away. A rooster flogging hurts. And to a toddler whose head is only a few feet from the ground a rooster flogging may mean the loss of an eye.

Don't take chances. Rehome the rooster.

I totally agree with 'old chick'. I breed and sell my birds so I do keep roosters in the flock. I've been told by my son in law and others who have kept chickens many years longer than I have that 'most all roosters will at some time try to flog you'. That may or may not be true, but for me, if a rooster flogs me or attempts to flog me - he is put immediately into the 'meatie' pen and the next time we process roosters he will be processed no matter how handsome or close to the SOP for his breed that he may be - that's just MHO. I keep a flock because I enjoy doing it so much but if an aggressive roo causes me to feel uncomfortable tending the flock and spending time with them then he has to go. Also, by not allowing these aggressive to humans roosters to breed I feel am making an effort to 'breed' out that undesirable trait in the birds I hatch and raise to keep or sell.

I would NEVER ALLOW ANY ROOSTER TO HAVE ACCESS TO A TODDLER because you never can predict when or if this type of - dangerous to an adult but could be tragic or even deadly to a toddler - behavior will occur and it only takes a few seconds to happen is extremely painful, sudden and unpredictable.

Last edited:
In fairness to Aurora the biter he only has pecked my daughter when she has grabbed him and even them has let her pet him and hold him. And it is not a peck that leaves a mark or anytbing -she didnt even cry. And when I go outside he comes up to me but is scared of me. Runs from my daughter as well-only messes with the dog when I'm
Not around-because the dog will eat the veggies and fruit I put out for the chickens. So I haven't seen any outward aggression to us and he doesn't mess with our goats at all. But like I said he is going on 5 months old. None of our hens are even laying yet. So I guess part of me wants to keep him but if he is going to all of a sudden snap and go cuckoo I would rather get rid of him now.

How would I go about rehoming him? Craigslist? My husband wants to eat him but I just can't do that to my daughters favorite chicken. Although if someone else ate him......

Back
Top Bottom