Just getting started!

Hmmm...here in MO we get both temperature extremes, so I didn't take that into account. I figure on having to do shade, fans, frozen things, and a misting system when the temps soar.

I just got a few Welsummers so we are still in the "getting-to-know-you" stage, but they're supposed to be friendly, good egg-layers. My EEs are nice...they don't follow me around like the other breeds I mentioned, but a lot of people have success turning them into lap chickens.

Generally speaking large combs and wattles are designed to dissipate heat. (Or at least that's what I've always been told.) So, leghorns with standard straight comb would do great in the south. I think that's why commercial eggs sold in the north are more often brown.

Generally speaking large combs and wattles are designed to dissipate heat.  (Or at least that's what I've always been told.)  So, leghorns with standard straight comb would do great in the south.  I think that's why commercial eggs sold in the north are more often brown.  

Good to know Thank you

So I guess the next Question would be "Egg vs Chick?"
I kinda like the idea of my girls seeing the whole process of the chicks hatching but the Surprise Roo or two, I'd feel bad having to re-home them.

Hatching eggs comes with it's own set of problems. You will have a problem finding pure bred eggs in small lots and shipping presents another layer of challenges. You will also have the 50% rooster problem to deal with.
Go with chicks.

Back
Top Bottom