Just got 2 baby geese and haven't had them before.

chickenlady08

Songster
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Shore, VA
Right now they are in a big rabbit cage inside of my garage. I have some questions about the proper housing for these little guys/girls. My husband says to just let them stay with the chickens but I am not so sure about that. They seem to be messy and I don't want water all over the floors of my chicken coops. I was wondering what size house(as I will be keeping them locked up at night for safety) they need and what size run they will need when they get older.
I have been feeding the non-medicated chick starter as that is what the livestock supply said to do. They come outside after I get home from work for 2 to 3 hours so they are supervised.

Am I doing everything right so far? Oh and what is Angel wing? Sounds scary.

Is there anything else that I should be doing to keep them happy and healthy?

Last edited:
You could spread a good amount of hay/straw on the floor of the wire cage.

Do you have Holderreads Book of Geese? Most of your questions are well answered there...its a great resource!

Dana

Quote:
I already have the Grower/finisher that I mix 50/50 for my chickens as an extra benefit for them. Am I correct to understand that Flock Raiser is 'vegetarian' feed and has 'no' animal by products? Are Geese herbivores? I would say no because they have caught a few bugs and gobbled them right down. They are so different than my chickens, which in itself is not a bad thing. I love my chickens and love my geese, just not sure of what sex my babies are yet.

Quote:
Right now I have pine shavings as their bedding. I am afraid of using straw and hay for bedding because I have read so much about impacted crop in chickens so I stopped using it with them and use pine shavings for my coops and nesting boxes and planned on using the same thing for my geese.

What type of house do they need? How bout a run? Size, etc...

And I am looking online for that book now. thanks again

I just bought the Holderread's book from Amazon.com, a used copy, for almost 50 bucks
ep.gif
it is out of print, and a "textbook", so it's spendy. However it has the most basic and complete info for first time goose owners, I highly recommend it!

Geese, once adult and fully feathered, only need rudimentary shelter. I've had two flocks, the first in north Idaho. They stayed out during subzero temps, and let the snow pile up on their heads. They merely look intruiged by hail and hard rain. Their hard feathers and downy underfeathers are very protective against all weather, even heat (as long as they have shade).

I have a three sided pallet set up covered with a tarp over it, and the PEN is predator proof. They rarely if ever use it, but eat in it, which is where I keep their food out of the elements. The female(s) will nest in the shelter. But otherwise they wear Northface on them at all times and rarely seek shelter.

Keep them in a secure pen, that most ideally has avian netting over the top and a hot wire around the outside edge to prevent climbers (raccoon, weasel, some coyotes) and then for the bottom edges of your pen, dig a trench about a foot deep. Take small bore strong chicken wire or hardware cloth and attach the top to the bottom of the fencing, and have the bottom of the hardware cloth/chickenwire layed down in the little trench. Put big sharp rocks up against that, then refill with dirt (stamp it down firmly). This will prevent digging predators.

Use 2 x 4 woven or welded wire for the fence. I use kennel panels, they are very strong. I use a length of small chicken wire around the bottom to keep babies inside the pen, it can be removed when they are too old to squeeze through.

Last edited:
While you are getting their outside pen ready . . .

They'll need a source of heat for about two weeks, then they can maintain their body heat in the house or in their shelter (esp if your temps do not go below 55F at night).

They need a water container deep enough to submerge their whole bill into above the nostrils. They need to keep their nostrils clear. They will play in their water and get food and poop in it like crazy. I used an indoor cat waterer that held two quarts, deep enough and it provided semi fresh water until you need to refill.

At four weeks of age, switch them to an all purpose poultry feed, about 17% protein. This is "said" to help prevent angel wing. Angel wing is probably BOTH hereditary and environmental. Since you don't know if you have the genetics for it, be sure to take them off hi protein feed at that age.

Always provide fresh chopped greens for them. They love dandelion greens the best, and young tender grasses, clover (incl the flowers). As mentioned in TennesseeTruly's thread, chopped kale is inexpensive and very good for them, mine eat it like candy. Mine also like frozen peas, but I think it's because they see the ducks get them for treats and just want to hog them away from the ducks.

Oh and BEWARE, goslings will bewitch you and you will wring your hands over them and love them more than you expect. I'm sure that has happened already. They will love you more than you expect. You will be holding them and carrying them around in your shirt. You will develop a high tolerance for goose poop on your clothing, hands and carpet. I had a gosling poop directly in my ear while snuggled in my hoodie. It made a most peculiar and memorable sound. Getting it out with a Q tip is not possible, use an ear syringe
big_smile.png

Thank you Kim65,

you gave me a whole lot of information. I know I was more prepared for my chickens. But they are inside my garage and still to little to be outside all the time yet. I have issues of being OCD with my chickens so I feel the same thing with the geese. Oh well, I would rather be crazy and have safe pets than something getting in and killing my babies. I just love them so.

I think I am going to name them Max and Ruby (hoping for a boy and a girl) but i will change them appropriately if needed to.

Are there any other books out there to help with Geese.

Back
Top Bottom