Just got a new rooster with a flaccid comb

Let us know how it goes! Poor fellow, but really don't see any other way of clearing his vision....it's not like he can wash the hairspray out and comb it back like Mike Score.
hmm.png

You mentioned above that the rest of the flock was kind of mean to him. That may well be a combination of his newness and his affected vision, but once you dub him, you'll likely need to keep him separate from the flock for a bit while it heals. Chickens LOVE to peck other chickens' wounds (to death, if they get a chance). So either keep him in an adequately sized crate in the coop/run/wherever the flock normally is so that they can still be together, but he can easily stay away from aggressive pecking until his comb heals up pretty good (which shouldn't take long).

I'm actually hoping dubbing his comb helps him out a bit as far as the bullying. The hens target it. I keep them separated during the day, but at night they all sleep together and there's about a half hour in the morning when he gets picked on, so he's got a few scabs.

Slowly but surely I'm seeing them leave him alone though. I think it helps that he's trying (in vain) to mate with them. It is hilarious to watch. In the immortal words of John Cusack: "It was like trying to borrow a dollar, getting turned down, and asking for fifty grand instead."

THE DUBBING OF SIR COLIN

(Husband and I finally agreed on a proper name for him).

Holy cow. I did it. Here's how it went.

I started with my super sharp brand new Singer fabric shears, an alcohol wipe, and a bowl of flour. I'm so glad I put a lot of flour in that bowl.

There's that pesky comb.

This picture shows just how big and thick his comb really is. I was not looking forward to this task. I was pretty sure this was going to be a bloody mess.

I wuv my widdle Colin

Ok, back to business. Wrapped him in a wet towel. Quickly realized he needed to be wrapped tighter. Rewrapped.

You can see the scabs where the hens have pecked. Ok, we're all ready here. Eek, I'm not ready.

I aimed and snipped as fast as I could. The first snip GUSHED. I put more and more and more flour on it. When it seemed under control I snapped a picture quick. Then went to do the second snip above his nose.

It stopped after about ten minutes, but it felt like forever that I was holding him and putting flour on his little head.

But then I set him loose to run around.

Here's a close-up of him after he shook the excess flour off.

He seemed confused at first, being able to use both eyes. He was so used to craning his neck to see everything with his good eye that he kept doing that at first. But soon he realized he could look at me straight on. And could aim at the food in my hand.

Hope I never have to do that again.

But look! Here's one eye...

...and here's the other eye!!!

He is right back to eating, drinking, crowing, scratching the ground, and trying to mate with the hens. But he is going to sleep in a crate in my room tonight :) My special little guy.

The end.

People do it for showing or to prevent frostbite during the winter. I did it to improve my bird's quality of life. It hurts right when you do it, but he's not showing any signs of being in pain anymore.

OMG...I don't know HOW you had the nerve to do that surgery, but I am very happy it went well! I recently had to do bumblefoot surgery on one of my hens the the bleeding went on and on and on for 30 mins...freaked me out!!! LOL

But you have definitely helped that poor boy out and will truly improve his life.

You did good!!!

thumbsup.gif

Good work! Eegads, I can't say that I didn't cringe at the bloody leg photo, because I'm sure that stung like a SOB for him. However, I really think the proof is in the pudding and he's going to do a whole lot better now that he can easily see with both eye 100% of the time. The fact that he's going about his business like nothing ever happened is an excellent sign. Just be sure to keep an eye on him and keep the wound clean. Chickens' imune systems are fantastic, but infection is a possibility. Some Neosporin (without NO pain killers) would help; Blue Kote as well.

I thoroughly commend both your bravery and Sir Colin's (love the name, too
wink.png
)!

Last edited:
Atta girl! You DID it! You certainly deserved a medal for doing the honor! He would see so much better!

Some people think it is cruel but look at this way...is it more cruel to get him pecked on or swiped by a predator? What if you can not see out of your own eye from an object that keeps you from seeing out? Would you elect surgery?

I rest my case!

I can already see the difference. The hens used to sneak up and take pot shots at him, scaring the heck out of him. Now he can see them coming every time!!!

Back
Top Bottom