Just got ducklings!

Thank you that helps!

20200708_134757.jpg

20200708_134728.jpg

20200708_133916.jpg

O, and there brooder setup looks good too! Well done with the water and stones. In a couple of days/Next week you will need a bigger box. Mine started of in the same kind of box and mine still prefer to sleep in it. It’s hilarious, the squeez themselves almost stuck in this box while they have plenty of room to choose from.

They are lovely 🥰. You will notice that they are fairly strong willed but their character is o so sweet. Yours look absolutely beautiful. These are mine now.. please keep posting pictures 😂
Omgoodness they're soooooo big!! Abd they're beautiful!!! I will definitely keep sharing :D
Thank you for reviewing the brooder, I thought the rocks might help because I woke up to everything soaked this morning so we shall see how this works out.

That and a Brinsea plate is all I use.
Lets them get good 'shuteye' when the sun goes down.
I actually thought the snake lamp was better. It kept the temp where it was suppose to be and it wasn't bright.... but I wasn't sure if there was a difference between the types of animals and the amount or type of light.

I then had a hard time regulating the temperature once I got the lightbulb. It was in the 100's yesterday so I got a regulator to help at night. Woke up at 2am to check on them and the regulator wasn't working right. It was set to 90 but it was off and the temp was 85 so I adjusted until the brooder was at 90.

Everywhere I research, it says keep the brooder for ducklings at 90 for 3 days, then 4-7 days 85-90. But when I was at the feed store getting the bulb, they said to do 90-95 for week 1 then 85-90 on week 2.

Now, I'm a little confused. I want to believe them as they work there, may have more knowledge than me.

I actually thought the snake lamp was better. It kept the temp where it was suppose to be and it wasn't bright.... but I wasn't sure if there was a difference between the types of animals and the amount or type of light.

I then had a hard time regulating the temperature once I got the lightbulb. It was in the 100's yesterday so I got a regulator to help at night. Woke up at 2am to check on them and the regulator wasn't working right. It was set to 90 but it was off and the temp was 85 so I adjusted until the brooder was at 90.

Everywhere I research, it says keep the brooder for ducklings at 90 for 3 days, then 4-7 days 85-90. But when I was at the feed store getting the bulb, they said to do 90-95 for week 1 then 85-90 on week 2.

Now, I'm a little confused. I want to believe them as they work there, may have more knowledge than me.
I watch the birds. If they seem warm, I raise the bulb. If they are huddled, I lower it. I have a laser thermometer gun I use to check the temperature. My current brood of geese broke the heat bulb, water splashed on to it, so I stole the ceramic heat emitter from my tortoise. I found that was better at regulating the heat and I won’t have to worry about it breaking. It’s only 75 watts compared to the 250 watts. I’ll be using ceramic from now on.

My reptile type is just an IR ceramic heater that doesn't emit any light.
Air temperature can be tricky. I found that using a handheld pyrometer, the surface temp on the floor beneath the Brinsea and the reptile heater ran from 95 to 113. Rule of thumb is if they are laying clumped together, they want heat, if they're laying away from the lamp, they could stand things cooler. It's not nearly as scientific as I originally thought.

Back
Top Bottom