Just got ducklings!

Madhouse Pullet

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 18, 2014
California
I ordered 2 cayuga female ducklings from My Pet Chicken (I was scared they were a scam) and I picked them up early yesterday morning from the post office. They seem scared but I made sure they were hydrated, and they've been doing good since.
Then my light bulb went out and the temp dropped to 80 :( I couldn't get to the store so I ended up using the snake's heat lamp until I could.

They are definitely wiggle worms compared to my chicks! I had a hard time holding them :lol:
This was the best picture I could get.
20200707_213112.jpg

My reptile type is just an IR ceramic heater that doesn't emit any light.
Air temperature can be tricky. I found that using a handheld pyrometer, the surface temp on the floor beneath the Brinsea and the reptile heater ran from 95 to 113. Rule of thumb is if they are laying clumped together, they want heat, if they're laying away from the lamp, they could stand things cooler. It's not nearly as scientific as I originally thought.
I like the no light aspect, its not natural for 24hr light. Watch your birds, don’t over think it.

That helps a lot, definitely answers a couple questions since I was curious when to let them outside. It is very warm, it's been in the high 90's to 100's. I haven't had the light on since this afternoon but the temp is at 90 so it's pretty warm but they can rest in darkness for awhile before I turn the light on.
Ooooo I'm going to introduce them outside tomorrow!
Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.
I had mine swimming in a little paint tray insert in a couple of days!
IMG_6474.JPG

Back
Top Bottom