Just got ducklings!

I watch the birds. If they seem warm, I raise the bulb. If they are huddled, I lower it. I have a laser thermometer gun I use to check the temperature. My current brood of geese broke the heat bulb, water splashed on to it, so I stole the ceramic heat emitter from my tortoise. I found that was better at regulating the heat and I won’t have to worry about it breaking. It’s only 75 watts compared to the 250 watts. I’ll be using ceramic from now on.
I do find the 250 watts to be a lot for summer. It wasn't so bad with my chicks, the weather was just beginning to get warm when I got them.

My reptile type is just an IR ceramic heater that doesn't emit any light.
Air temperature can be tricky. I found that using a handheld pyrometer, the surface temp on the floor beneath the Brinsea and the reptile heater ran from 95 to 113. Rule of thumb is if they are laying clumped together, they want heat, if they're laying away from the lamp, they could stand things cooler. It's not nearly as scientific as I originally thought.
I like the no light aspect, its not natural for 24hr light. Watch your birds, don’t over think it.

My reptile type is just an IR ceramic heater that doesn't emit any light.
Air temperature can be tricky. I found that using a handheld pyrometer, the surface temp on the floor beneath the Brinsea and the reptile heater ran from 95 to 113. Rule of thumb is if they are laying clumped together, they want heat, if they're laying away from the lamp, they could stand things cooler. It's not nearly as scientific as I originally thought.
Ooooo
I like the no light aspect, its not natural for 24hr light. Watch your birds, don’t over think it.
Yes, definitely need that reminder. Getting so caught up making sure its "perfect".
I also like the idea of no light. Definitely going to look more into it.

I ordered 2 cayuga female ducklings from My Pet Chicken (I was scared they were a scam) and I picked them up early yesterday morning from the post office. They seem scared but I made sure they were hydrated, and they've been doing good since.
Then my light bulb went out and the temp dropped to 80 :( I couldn't get to the store so I ended up using the snake's heat lamp until I could.

They are definitely wiggle worms compared to my chicks! I had a hard time holding them :lol:
This was the best picture I could get.
View attachment 2232870
Adorable!! I’ve been poking around that website! So glad they arrived healthy and well!! 🤩

I wouldn't freak out too much about the heat. I see you are in California so maybe it's pretty warm outside now? I'm in Georgia and don't adhere to those exact temperatures they tell you about week 1 etc. When I hatch I wait until the first of June which is usually really warm/hot outside and that makes a huge difference. I'd say watch how they act and you'll be able to tell if they are chilled then use the heat lamp as needed. I had mine outside playing in the grass on day 2. An awful lot depends on your climate.

I wouldn't freak out too much about the heat. I see you are in California so maybe it's pretty warm outside now? I'm in Georgia and don't adhere to those exact temperatures they tell you about week 1 etc. When I hatch I wait until the first of June which is usually really warm/hot outside and that makes a huge difference. I'd say watch how they act and you'll be able to tell if they are chilled then use the heat lamp as needed. I had mine outside playing in the grass on day 2. An awful lot depends on your climate.
That helps a lot, definitely answers a couple questions since I was curious when to let them outside. It is very warm, it's been in the high 90's to 100's. I haven't had the light on since this afternoon but the temp is at 90 so it's pretty warm but they can rest in darkness for awhile before I turn the light on.
Ooooo I'm going to introduce them outside tomorrow!
Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom