Just got my first egg from my chickens!

lightchick

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Minnesota
I'm so excited! How do I figure out who laid it? I have a Black sex link, Brown sex link, Australorp and Silkie. They are all 20 weeks and 2 days old. I THINK it was my Black sex link because she has the biggest and reddest comb of them all. The Australorp has a tiny comb still and the Silkie is way to young. The Brown sex link is the only other probable one. Is there any other way to tell?
The egg is half the size of the eggs we get from a local farm.

That's a great looking 1st egg! My guess would be anyone other than the silkie, it looks to belong to a larger breed bird.

When we only had 3 layers, it was easy to tell which egg belonged to which chicken. Now with 13 younger girls starting to lay, it's almost a case of having to "catch them in the act".

No matter who left it, congratulations, that's so much fun!

Congrats! Pretty much you have to catch them laying to figure out which one it is. It's probably whoever has been the most vocal. The eggs are small at first, as their bodies adjust to laying. They will gradually get bigger over time.

Here are all of my girls.

BSL Pepsi

Silkie Lexi

Brown sex link Pumpkin

Australorp Sweetie

Last edited:
I know it's definately not the Silkie Lexi and most likely not the Australorp Sweetie. So it's probably my Black Star Pepsi or my Brown Star Pumpkin.

Is it possible that my chickens could be laying their eggs out in the woods or something? It's kinda weird that the first egg I get was when they had to be locked in the coop all day and then I haven't gotten another egg today when they are allowed to free range in my yard.
There was only one egg, but maybe the one that laid the egg has been laying somewhere else? I did notice that my Brown sex link's comb seemed to turn lighter in color a week or so ago and I read that that's one of the signs? But maybe it just looks lighter because my Black sex link's comb has grown and turned much redder. I really don't know......should I be getting a egg a day since I got one yesterday?

I'm pretty sure that it's my Brown sex link lying because her vent is bigger if you know what I mean?
Both my Brown sex link and Black sex link started squatting today too.
Yesterday I got no eggs, but today I got a egg again. But it's small like the first egg.
The day before yesterday I got a egg too. I have there eggs total over the space of four days. The first two eggs I know were after 3:00 PM, and the I didn't get an egg and then I got a egg this morning.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom