Just got my R-Com 20 Pro 2Day! How do I save eggs.........

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sticks22, Sep 15, 2008.

1. sticks22

sticks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Grove, oklahoma
    I just recieved my r-com 20 pro incubator today and I cant wait to start hatching! I only have one question. So, how should I save the eggs till I get the 20 eggs that it takes to fill the bator? I have 1 large egg from todays laying hens. Im getting about 4 to 5 eggs per day but only 1 or 2 of them are large enough to incubate. What should I do?

I am putting them in an empty egg carton on top of my refridgerator. Is this the right thing to do? Or is there something else I should be doing?

2. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Put the eggs in a egg carton

Keep them at 50 to 60F and 50% humidity.

Turn them at least once a day, best achieved by tipping the egg carton 45 degrees one way, then 45 degrees the other way at the next turn

Try not to keep them longer than 5 to 7 days before setting.

3. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    Also when you put them in the cartons put the big end facing up and the pointy end down. Very important.

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    The top of the fridge gets pretty warm, I would put them somewhere cooler, too. [​IMG] Happy hatching!!!!

5. DaKid

DaKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    what I do is write date on them with a pencil and what # number of egg and place them in the bator the same day , keep a log of temp- humidity and egg number and date , this way youÂ’ll know when there due to hatch if you know what breed I mark that also on the egg so when they hatch I know who is who

works for me

Al.

6. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:This isn't something that many people would advise. The eggs need different incubation conditions during the last three days and that can't be achieved using this method.

It can, however, work extremely well if you have a separate hatcher.

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Congratulations on your R-com 20 pro!!! I dream of an r-com 20 some day [​IMG] You must be wicked excited [​IMG]

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

This year I saved 5 Silkie eggs from my flock for 3 weeks before incubating. I stored them large end up and turned them 1 or 2 times a day. They all hatched.

9. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I'm new to the whole chicken thing but am already thinking about hatching eggs. As a newbie would anyone suggest the r com incubator that holds only three eggs for firstimers? I thought it was interesting.

10. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:It's an R-Com, so it works.

It is not like the gimmicky tiny incubators so beloved by eBay sellers.

Bear in mind tho .... It IS restricted to 3 chicken eggs. That's actually not a bad number for a classroom, but most are going to find it too small, and too expensive for building a backyard flock.

It has a scope attachment which I hear is very good for watching the eggs develop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by