Just got some new, cute, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes

Do you have a thermometer in the brooder to monitor temperature ?
No, not yet.
Yes u are correct they Can get too hot as well as too cold. If they are peeping loudly, they are distressed for Some reason. If u can put a thermometer in the brooder to check temperature under the heat lamp, that is the best option. It sounds like u have brooded chicks before, so u likely know how to tell if they are comfortable- not too hot nor too cold, but just right. If u dont have a thermometer available, observe them closely to make sure they arent panting and/or trying to get as far away from the heat bulb as possible. And when u get everything situated, post some pics of your new chickies!,😀
They are peeping, but if they were distressed it would be from the dogs coming to check them out. And there is plenty of room for them to move if they get too hot or too cold!
Congrats! Wyandottes are a favorite of mine❤
They are so cute!

If I were you, I’d Put a thermometer in the pen to get an accurate reading of temperature. If it is below the recommended temp(around 100F? For days old), cover the top of the pen or lower the heating lamp... you will get your desired temp eventually! Cackle Hatchery has a pretty good instruction on how to set up a brooder. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom