I just hatched some new babies. Anyone else?!?

Dec 28, 2023
NC
I just hatched some chicks. 1 showgirl (possibly frizzle), 2 polish (white crested blue), and 5 of my own breed I am trying to make (Sebright Cochin cross frizzles). I hatched them on Christmas and was wondering if there was any advice for raising chicks in the winter. I know if is probably stupid but the rooster I wanted to use for breeding died so I had to hatch the eggs now. All advice for winter brooding is welcome. (Stories and pictures are also welcome) :D :):D:wee

Here are my chick pics. At least two of the small ones are frizzles

Attachments

• IMG_6892.jpeg
    IMG_6892.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6893.jpeg
    IMG_6893.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6894.jpeg
    IMG_6894.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6895.jpeg
    IMG_6895.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6896.jpeg
    IMG_6896.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6897.jpeg
    IMG_6897.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6898.jpeg
    IMG_6898.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6899.jpeg
    IMG_6899.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I just hatched some chicks. 1 showgirl (possibly frizzle), 2 polish (white crested blue), and 5 of my own breed I am trying to make (Sebright Cochin cross frizzles). I hatched them on Christmas and was wondering if there was any advice for raising chicks in the winter. I know if is probably stupid but the rooster I wanted to use for breeding died so I had to hatch the eggs now. All advice for winter brooding is welcome. (Stories and pictures are also welcome) :D :):D:wee
Congratulations!

I know I'm not alone but I'm addicted to hatching. Next week I have a dozen buff silkie eggs with a few cuckoo silkie eggs being shipped to me.

What are your questions about raising in the winter? We have an indoor wired brooder that is a piece of furniture in our living room. Outdoors, our main coop holds the adults, but the grow out pen aka breeding pen, has a hutch in it with a cozy coop heater in there so they can play out in the pen, but go back into the hutch if they get cold. They're two months old.

Now, where's YOUR pictures? ☺️

Here's one of them that's out in the pen. This is Betsy.

Betsy Christmas Eve.jpg

I’m actually happy catching some babies I don’t know what’s going on with them they were my hens fertilized eggs that I incubated and I had eight live embryos at day 12 they started hatching yesterday and unfortunately three of them died in the incubator two of them hadn’t even made it all the way out of the shell yet before dying one died very shortly after making it out of the shell I don’t know why the humidity levels been perfect

I’m not sure either. When I hatch I don’t worry too much about humidity. I just add some water and I’m good. Humidity doesn’t really matter unless there is too much (can be seen in condensation). This can cause the chicks to drown inside the egg. Happy Hatching.

Congratulations!

I know I'm not alone but I'm addicted to hatching. Next week I have a dozen buff silkie eggs with a few cuckoo silkie eggs being shipped to me.

What are your questions about raising in the winter? We have an indoor wired brooder that is a piece of furniture in our living room. Outdoors, our main coop holds the adults, but the grow out pen aka breeding pen, has a hutch in it with a cozy coop heater in there so they can play out in the pen, but go back into the hutch if they get cold. They're two months old.

Now, where's YOUR pictures? ☺️

Here's one of them that's out in the pen. This is Betsy.

View attachment 3714254
I added the pics

I’m actually happy catching some babies I don’t know what’s going on with them they were my hens fertilized eggs that I incubated and I had eight live embryos at day 12 they started hatching yesterday and unfortunately three of them died in the incubator two of them hadn’t even made it all the way out of the shell yet before dying one died very shortly after making it out of the shell I don’t know why the humidity levels been perfect
Do you do lockdown three days before hatch day where you stop the turning and don't open the incubator until they've hatched?

Humidity is just the average which for normal incubating is around 40-50% until lockdown then up it to around 70%.

If you do everything right and this still is happening, it goes back to the hen who laid those eggs. It could be genetics or nutrition.

Here are my chick pics. At least two of the small ones are frizzles
Awww. They are so cute

I hatched 3 BYM chicks on Christmas day.
1703988201094.png

I also have 11 babies hatched approx. 2 weeks prior to Christmas.
1703988302182.png

Most of the older babies have moved to the outdoor brooder (dog crate) in the big coop. The three newest and a few of the bigger babies are still in my spare bedroom. I think this is a great time to hatch becasue the pullets will be ready to lay early in the spring... assuming I get any girls in this group. It's only my second winter clutch. Last year's Christmas Clutch was 4/5 boys, and this year I have an awful lot of boyish mannered chicks...

Back
Top Bottom