Aggressive or normal? HELP!

groovychick2

Hatching
Apr 3, 2023
Hi! First time brooding.
Our chicks are hatching at different times, we’re getting roughly 1 a day at the minute. We have 2 currently in the brooder, separated, as the 1 day older one was pecking the younger one. Another has hatched today and is still in the incubator.

How is the best way to go about putting them all together in the brooder? Obviously the current one in the incubator will stay in there for a day or so un till it is fully mobile.

Is it possible to put them all together without them pecking eachother? Is it fairly normal or could there be an external reason for this? Is there any way to prevent this? How much pecking is too much?

Basically, I just need some advice around the whole pecking situation.

Any help is so appreciated 🙏🏼🙏🏼

a fresh hatch is just interesting to peck at for chicks a day or 2 older already up and running around .. particularly a fresh hatch is wobbly and can get on its back and the others can peck its umbilical spot and get it bleeding, so a small piece of hardware cloth just bent into a square pen several inches high, or wedged into a corner, to place fresh hatches for a day or so till they get their bearings is what i do .. after that theyll be fine .. be sure its strategically placed so they can get heat or cool off as the case may be ..

a fresh hatch is just interesting to peck at for chicks a day or 2 older already up and running around .. particularly a fresh hatch is wobbly and can get on its back and the others can peck its umbilical spot and get it bleeding, so a small piece of hardware cloth just bent into a square pen several inches high, or wedged into a corner, to place fresh hatches for a day or so till they get their bearings is what i do .. after that theyll be fine .. be sure its strategically placed so they can get heat or cool off as the case may be ..
thank you so much for that, I really appreciate it. So in a few days when i am able to place them all together, is pecking at each other on initial introduction normal?😊

Usually when the new chicks are fully fluffed up this problem stops. It's not aggression so much as being designed to look for things that stand out visually. Different colors and spots especially. In the wild their food doesn't come in a feeder.

Mine like to go after each other's toes on the first day. Especially because they have black and pink feet. They learn to move away as long as no single chick gets too picked on (more chicks make it easier). But what helps most IME is to sprinkle some feed, slowly, playfully, on top of puppy pads or paper towel, and get the little chicks attention by "pecking" at it like a mommy hen would do. Then their little finding instinct can be satisfied, and they're soon tired enough for another nap.

If your picking has gone on for a while, the chick(s) may have become really set on the idea that something about the vulnerable chick is worth finding. In that case, short term separation like @mcdze said is the best option. Be really, really sure the isolated can move away from the heat far enough to cool down, and try to be extra attentive to distress peeping. Be careful of sharp wire too. It's like baby proofing a house sometimes with what they can get up to.

Back
Top Bottom