Just got the scare of the day

DuckLady

Administrator
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Jan 11, 2007
NE Washington State
I went to let the ducks out and I noticed a bunch of tail feathers sticking out from under a lawn sweeper attachment for our tractor in the side yard. I thought, "oh no a hen got stuck and died under there." I called "chick-chick" and poked the feathers with stick and no response.

I went and let the ducks out and came back and got an empty feed bag to scoop the hen into.
I lifted the sweeper and yup a dead hen, eyes open, stiff, half sitting up. For sure she got stuck and died in that position. I poked her again and no response. I opened the feed bag and reached to scoop her in the bag and this dead hen came to life, screeching and pecking, puffed up. The rooster came running, hopped the gate to see what I was doing. Scared the bejeebers out of me. My heart is still racing.
So now I have a broody in a very unsafe area in the front of the house. I guess I will watch for her to go eat and see how many eggs she has. I am not sure how long she has been there, since it has been raining like crazy and chores have been feed, water, gather eggs and toss out some treats. No head counts in the past week or so. I will try and move her and the nest to a safer place.

Sigh.

silly chickens

roll.png

Back
Top Bottom