Just had to tell everyone...

Quote:
Squabs are the squeakers that you eat.
droolin.gif

You eat pigeons? Really?
ep.gif
Is this common? I can't even imagine....
th.gif

squab is a baby pigeon squeakers are young that make squeaking sound begging for food squab is pigeon sold for food market usually before the feathers under there wing are fully developed the squab at that time weights aleast what a parent weighs or more veal is meat from a calf that is still fed milk and not feed

Pigeon is almost the same as dove and to me a bird tastes like any other bird with very slight differences. There are alot of recipes that call for squab or even adult pigeon.
Deerman that is amazing considering I would never in a million years pay over $60 for a pigeon no matter what it is, and 50% of them I would even give over $15 for. I'm happy enough just to have a few ferals flying around and cooing and purring in the pen (when I can even have that again).

ETA: I don't mean to offend anyone that would or has spent big bucks on pigeons, I'm just saying that is how much I would ever be willing to pay.

Last edited:
Quote:
Squabs are the squeakers that you eat.
droolin.gif

You eat pigeons? Really?
ep.gif
th.gif

Yes all started with the passager pigeon..late 1800..they were number in the billions....young were take from the nest and shipped east to big city like new york and etc.

Now adays there are breed just for meat......raise only for meat....but and young pigeon before they can fly ,could be eaten.

Quote:
yes but those are once that win or produce winner in those racers with like 5,000 + birds. Lot of those races pay out like 100,000 dollars to the winners.

Some of these racers....they auction off the winners........sometime the owner if they want to keep the bird will need to win the auction for his bird.

Like a bird that won one of these races winning 100,000......sure he wouldn't sell cheap. Just like a race horse sells in the millions.

Quote:
no squab is a pigeon raise for meat...just like a calf raised for veal is called a veal calf.

squab=pigeon meat
veal=calf meat
beef=cattle meat
pork=pig meat

you dont call all cattle beef, neither do you call all pigeon squabs.......oh even squeaker few day old make the squeaker noise.

Quote:
You eat pigeons? Really?
ep.gif
th.gif

Yes all started with the passager pigeon..late 1800..they were number in the billions....young were take from the nest and shipped east to big city like new york and etc.

Now adays there are breed just for meat......raise only for meat....but and young pigeon before they can fly ,could be eaten.

I guess I learned something new today. I knew about racing pigeons but never thought of them as food. The poster above surprised me when he mentioned people eat doves too.
idunno.gif
I do think I will just stick to chicken and turkey though. That is about as adventurous as I get when it comes to eating birds.
tongue.png

sorry ritter for hijacking your thread, but you did get him a home.

Funny thing that how alot of pigeon breeders got started, with young feral pigeon.

I start when i was very young boy......stealing young onces out of the nest and hand feeding them.....lucky to be alive, i climbed bridges, building no mater how high, even over the rivers....no i couldn't swin either........crazy i know.

I bought my first pr of rollers for 1.00 each...talking with alot of pigeon breeders over the years......so many did the same thing as young boys.

I am down to only 6 peafowl, no more pigeon,pheasant quails, and etc.

Not many birds i have not raised during my life. hatch eggs from button quail to Ostrich. many type of house birds parakeet to parrots

but peafowl and pigeon have been part of life for many many years.

Oh best way to hand feed pigeon..use pigeon pellet, wet

Back
Top Bottom