Just had to tell everyone...

rittert3

Crowing
13 Years
May 1, 2009
Ks (Manhattan area)
I caught a feral squeaker at work today when I was getting off work so I have A bird.... just for tonight though I'm not supposed to have critters in my at my apt. so I'm meeting a freind at a swap tomarrow and giving it to him.

A 'squeaker' is a young pigeon still in or just out of the nest. They are called this because of the sounds they make.

Well, I learned something new today! In my neck of the woods we called pigeon youngsters 'squab'.

Either or it's like a calf/veal. I just learned this a month ago myself but I guess squab is a meat breed baby. I found this one on the ground at the sale barn and a co-worker was going to kill it so I snatched it up, he mostly feathered but still has fuzz on the back of his head and lots of pin feathers on his sides. I think it should be old enough to eat grain. Well I've got to go deliver him now so I'll get back later.

Quote:
Squabs are the squeakers that you eat.
droolin.gif

Yep! I got the little guy delivered to my freind who has tons of pigeons of close to 20 breeds and he said he has parents that will feed anything. So even if he's not eating grain yet he's in a good place (until a dog trainer comes looking for shooters, him being a feral). Actually that though of eating him did cross my mind he's the right age and size but, I only had 1 so I opted out. I do like eatting critters that I know were they came from but I enjoy the genetics and having babies around the most about raising animals. I find the culling and processing parts a little harder, I'm not one to enjoy taking a life.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes like Ritter posted......squeakers are young pigeon........squab if the meat

Ritter made a good point calf...............................veal

Realy want to make a person with some of his high dollar squeakers call them squabs. show pigeon sell in the hundreds , some racers sell in the thousands.

i saw a show racer sell for 5,000 dollar in 1980.......a racer sell for 35,000 dollars. in the 90s

Last edited:
Wow i just checked record price payed for a racing homer.........225,000 dollars. record purse paid out at a race 600,000 dollars

Back
Top Bottom