just hatched chick has big red butt!

Is the yolk still hanging out or just bloody/red? If yolk is still out, place on a warm wash cloth in a dark incubator till it absorbs it. If it's just red/bloody, I just apply pressure with a tissue for about 30 seconds and then give a little sugar water(just a few drops a little at a time) and either place in the incubator to fluff up or if already fluffed, set in a brooder with a heat lamp.
smile.png
Good luck!

Is he bleeding? Can you post a picture? It's hard to picture what is going on without seeing it. Is he dried off yet? Does he seem ok? It could just be some membrane stuck to his butt, or... I think nobody has answered because it's hard to tell what is going on....Sorry, need more info. Is he standing up, or rolling around in pain?

I have no batteries in my camera...drat..it is a red ball type thing about the size of a pea...located aprox at the vent...he seems fine, dry, in the brooder with others...just snoozing right now...he walks fine....seems ok except for that. Thanks for the replys....I think he was still attached to the shell somewhat and pulled it off on some other eggs....there are a few droplets of blood in the bator....It almost looks like its drying up somewhat...not as bright red now

Ok, im sorry...it is still pretty red...about the size of a small pea...I had a keet with that once and it died...that was before I found BYC:) I learn something here every day!

Ar you sure it's not the navel? Chicks' navels are back toward the vent. Sometimes they aren't closed up at hatch. If that's the case, put some polysporin on it and if the others peck at it, separate it until it heals up.

Back
Top Bottom