Just hatched chicks- ( More to come next Friday. )

lilwanderer

Songster
Apr 7, 2022
Live Oak, Florida
Really curious how they’ll turn out when they feather in, so what would:
he: ( Captain )
9D261CF5-8651-4541-98CD-388DDE593293.jpeg

And she:
D70BD0E5-901A-46E7-B05D-24F4E9DEA0A9.jpeg
make?
( Any questions about their breed lmk. I’ll say now that they are far from being pure.)

I have no clue, but that rooster has one wicked comb. I've never seen anything like that. Your Cuckoo Maran hen, is her back sparsely feathered? Is that what the saddle's for?
I take it you’re referring to the brahma mixed roo’s comb? Yes it’s strange but he’s had it like since he was about 5 months, he’s turning a year old next month. The cuckoo hen’s back is in very bad shape atm due to being the roosters main hen apparently, hoping the saddle will give her a chance to heal. She’s had it for about a month now.

I take it you’re referring to the brahma mixed roo’s comb? Yes it’s strange but he’s had it like since he was about 5 months, he’s turning a year old next month. The cuckoo hen’s back is in very bad shape atm due to being the roosters main hen apparently, hoping the saddle will give her a chance to heal. She’s had it for about a month now.
Yeah. I've never seen anything like it.
If it's been on for a month, you might want to check it. If she has those scrapes though, in my experience, you either have a really hormonal rooster or too many roosters for your hens. I have two chickens that I adopted and they came with saddles because they had a dominant hen who was just wicked. I'm afraid I can't help you with the genes, but I never miss the chance to see chickens. :) I have several mutts that make all sorts of interesting looking chickens. I plan to post picture of my flock sometime soon, and I'll be sure to specify.

Yeah. I've never seen anything like it.
If it's been on for a month, you might want to check it. If she has those scrapes though, in my experience, you either have a really hormonal rooster or too many roosters for your hens. I have two chickens that I adopted and they came with saddles because they had a dominant hen who was just wicked. I'm afraid I can't help you with the genes, but I never miss the chance to see chickens. :) I have several mutts that make all sorts of interesting looking chickens. I plan to post picture of my flock sometime soon, and I'll be sure to specify.
He has the same comb his dad had, just twice as large. It doesn’t seem to affect him in any way but who knows. As for the hen, she’s the only one who has a back as bad as she does, so too many roosters wouldn’t make sense. I checked today and it’s looking slightly better, so that’s something to go by at least. They are free range during the day, but two roosters sleep in her coop when they go to roost at night, but throughout the day, one of two doesn’t really come near the hens as he will get chased off almost immediately. ( P.S. I’d love to see you’re flock, wouldn’t wanna miss it. )

He has the same comb his dad had, just twice as large. It doesn’t seem to affect him in any way but who knows. As for the hen, she’s the only one who has a back as bad as she does, so too many roosters wouldn’t make sense. I checked today and it’s looking slightly better, so that’s something to go by at least. They are free range during the day, but two roosters sleep in her coop when they go to roost at night, but throughout the day, one of two doesn’t really come near the hens as he will get chased off almost immediately. ( P.S. I’d love to see you’re flock, wouldn’t wanna miss it. )
Wowsers. On the hen, not necesarily. Roosters are just like humans in the sense that they can have favorite hens. She may be very popular. How many roosters do you have and how many hens? I have a rooster low in the pecking order who always gets chased off. Pity, he's a pure Salmon Faverolle and he'd make some good looking chicks. :D Whenever I post pictures, I'll be sure to add you!

Wowsers. On the hen, not necesarily. Roosters are just like humans in the sense that they can have favorite hens. She may be very popular. How many roosters do you have and how many hens? I have a rooster low in the pecking order who always gets chased off. Pity, he's a pure Salmon Faverolle and he'd make some good looking chicks. :D Whenever I post pictures, I'll be sure to add you!
Oh, she’s definitely a favorite among the 2 roosters she stays with, but the one never really gets her. - Overall, 4 roosters and 4 cockerels that I know of, but they stay in the nursery and are only 3 months old. But 2 of the roosters are outcasts and are never with the hens, and the other 2 stay with their own flock unless we throw out treats for them (and yk, they all gather. )

Oh, she’s definitely a favorite among the 2 roosters she stays with, but the one never really gets her. - Overall, 4 roosters and 4 cockerels that I know of, but they stay in the nursery and are only 3 months old. But 2 of the roosters are outcasts and are never with the hens, and the other 2 stay with their own flock unless we throw out treats for them (and yk, they all gather. )
How many hens?

Back
Top Bottom