just hatched!

ChickenChaps

Songster
12 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Malabar, FL
I was counting on Saturday, being day 28, the day for hatch, but nope! lol

One lonely chick hatched yesterday (wed) about 4pm. She pipped around 7 am! Took forever to come out. I left her in the incubator until I went to bed at 9. There were several other eggs pipped. Sure enough, all night long PEEP! lol I got up every hour I think. Finally around 3, there were 10 in the incubator playing football with all the other eggs, so I took them all out and gave the lonely chick friends. When I got up there were 4 more. One more hatched today along with one naked neck turken!

There are still 3 more guinea eggs hoping to come off, along with 17 more chickens and 20 partridges!

I have no idea what these colors are, can you tell me? There is one that is all gray, CUTE!

i17FA43A4-9840-4411-91E3-EBABFE56268A.jpg

iB088744D-9121-49CF-9738-5301C5828DA0.jpg

The grey/silver keet is a Lavender, I see several Pied Pearl Greys (white wings, white on the sides of their faces) and one looks like a Buff Dundotte or maybe a Brown, can't tell from the pic tho.

They shouldn't be on shavings yet, they can ingest them and clog themselves up, which will kill them. I use old bath towels with no loose strings, textured paper towels, rubberized shelf liner or even straw for the first few days (nothing slippery, they need good traction to avoid splayed legs) until they know to eat their starter crumbles and not the shavings.

Last edited:
Very cool, thank you!
smile.png
There should be a guinea sticky with all the basic infos.
smile.png

Thanks for the help and the tip on the shavings. They are doing great. I will have to take another picture. They are just so cute!

I have my first ones due to hatch in another week. I have hatched thousands of chicks and some ducks but never Guineas so this will be interesting.

I agree not to use shavings. I do not ever use shavings for my fowl until they are 4 weeks old. Too dangerous. I use shelf matting the first week and then onto rough woven nylon bags my locally milled grain comes in. Works fabulous!

Really cute keets!
I can't wait to see what hatches from these eggs. My friend got them and since I do her hatching for her she thought 5 dz Guinea eggs would be fun. I get to keep half of the keets that hatch and we have no idea what colors to expect.

Good idea about the sticky!

Back
Top Bottom