Just Hello from another Pigeon Lover

Thank you! For the set up do you have a pen for at night and let them fly or free range (sorry I’ve only had chickens)
Yes. Mine live in a loft (the correctly term for a pigeon coop) for the majority of their life. But I fly them daily for about two hours or so. This seems to be enough to satisfy them. If I free flew them all day, I would not have any pigeons left, as hawks love pigeons! Once I have let them out and ready for them to come back in, a put feed on the ground and whistle. They know this means food, and they all come rushing in for food, and then they art safe and sound once I close the door. On the brown coop, the windows are removable. Both coops besides the white one are made of pallet wood only.
IMG_20190509_135535.jpg
IMG_20190627_161339.jpg
IMG_20190714_182501.jpg
IMG_20190308_105632.jpg
IMG_20190722_105400.jpg
IMG_20190308_105643.jpg
IMG_20190823_143303.jpg
IMG_20190514_113052.jpg
IMG_20190308_105738.jpg
IMG_20190514_112928.jpg

Yes. Mine live in a loft (the correctly term for a pigeon coop) for the majority of their life. But I fly them daily for about two hours or so. This seems to be enough to satisfy them. If I free flew them all day, I would not have any pigeons left, as hawks love pigeons! Once I have let them out and ready for them to come back in, a put feed on the ground and whistle. They know this means food, and they all come rushing in for food, and then they art safe and sound once I close the door. On the brown coop, the windows are removable. Both coops besides the white one are made of pallet wood only.View attachment 2434017View attachment 2434018View attachment 2434019View attachment 2434020View attachment 2434021View attachment 2434022View attachment 2434023View attachment 2434024View attachment 2434025View attachment 2434026
Thanks this is so helpful

Thanks this is so helpful
My loft is 12x24, 4 sections with perches & room for feed tins (metal trash cans with lids, never used for trash btw). Pigeons view their loft as Home & if they're feeling safe from predators & weather, they'll love it there. I have a lot of predators here, many hawks all day long, especially Fall as I'm on Hawk HighwayFlyway (the migratory hawks), so I can't free fly them around the loft all day long year round, so they have flight pens, get outside but stay safe. Spring & Summer here, the hawks have more sources of food & there are less hawks in general, the migratory ones aren't here, so my Pigeons fly around a lot more, & youngsters will range, I let the older pigeons teach them, plus I crate train (drive & release, they flock up together & older ones help lead them home, teaches them, then the young birds are good to go). It does require dedication ongoing if you plan to fly Pigeons at a distance. Some just have pigeons to enjoy & as a hobby, not necessarily to fly distances, so there are also different types of Fancy pigeons, like Fantails who aren't good at flying, but boy are they cute! There are also Rollers & High Flyers. You can read up on the various types, many interesting sites & info on the web. The biggest expense is the loft, & the biggest requirement is your time, caring & dedication. It is very rewarding. From the simple peaceful coo as I go into the loft to the interactions when they land on me, to the joy of seeing them take a bath or fly gleefully on sunny days...they are truly a gift.

Last edited:
My loft is 12x24, 4 sections with perches & room for feed tins (metal trash cans with lids, never used for trash btw). Pigeons view their loft as Home & if they're feeling safe from predators & weather, they'll love it there. I have a lot of predators here, many hawks all day long, especially Fall as I'm on Hawk HighwayFlyway (the migratory hawks), so I can't free fly them around the loft all day long year round, so they have flight pens, get outside but stay safe. Spring & Summer here, the hawks have more sources of food & there are less hawks in general, the migratory ones aren't here, so my Pigeons fly around a lot more, & youngsters will range, I let the older pigeons teach them, plus I crate train (drive & release, they flock up together & older ones help lead them home, teaches them, then the young birds are good to go). It does require dedication ongoing if you plan to fly Pigeons at a distance. Some just have pigeons to enjoy & as a hobby, not necessarily to fly distances, so there are also different types of Fancy pigeons, like Fantails who aren't good at flying, but boy are they cute! There are also Rollers & High Flyers. You can read up on the various types, many interesting sites & info on the web. The biggest expense is the loft, & the biggest requirement is your time, caring & dedication. It is very rewarding. From the simple peaceful coo as I go into the loft to the interactions when they land on me, to the joy of seeing them take a bath or fly gleefully on sunny days...they are truly a gift.
Thank you! I have a lot of hawks too. What is the rule for space

Last edited:
@Liz Birdlover how far have you tossed by our homers? What lines do you raise?
When I raced with the Baltimore club a few years ago they released out of Atlanta GA, 600 mile race but it was actually 750 miles from my loft. At the time a hurricane was in the Gulf they didn't know what path would take so as the guy was driving the pigeons towards the release point the hurricane shifted and came towards the East Coast. I figured they would not release but that jerk released anyway. I entered 4 birds, I got 3 back. Many people entered 20-30 birds and got none back, so I do have good birds, but I got so ticked off by cruel decision I stopped racing with them. I don't care how much they paid the liberator to drive, hotel and gas, those are little lives that I care about, raised, nurtured & trained, a real bond happens, at least for me, they had no right to release those birds without our vote or approval to do so, during a freaking hurricane. I flew local races with a local club, that was fun, but that club fell apart as members died. Most club members are senior men & unfortunately many of today's youth are not interested in the sport or making the commitment of even keeping pigeons. I have flown white pigeons for weddings, celebrations of life & for free at the beginnings of cancer walks, etc., but not for a few years now, was sidetracked by cancer & of course 2020 covid all venues were canceled. I bred youngsters 2020 wanting to race with other club but all was canceled. Hope 2021 will better for us all...guess we have to see. I know I have some nice birds, bought some from a man that got his from Belgium & won races.

Back
Top Bottom