Just how useful is a rooster anyway?

Pics
I have had 3 roosters.... Eros... he was a good roo.. favored 2 hens but was guiding to the rest of the flock. When he died, my hens were lost... they wouldn't roost , the would wander around clucking... they missed him and it was obvious. They also lost a sister hen in that death so that probably threw them off as well. Then I got two roosters, Lucifer and Pan. Pan is an ass. He ran Lucifer out of the coop... wouldn't let him near girls or food... and he kept chasing the hens away from the food too... his selfish ass went back where I got him from. Lucifer is a good boy. He crows when there's tasties around, he keeps all the girls close to him , but he's not the first to sound the warning call when there's a predator. That would be one of the hens... she sees a cat 10 feet away and she's all clucking. But... he makes my girls happy and organized and everyone gets to eat with him around so I keep him. That's how roos are useful to me.

My rooster is amazing, my flock is in a coop or run 24/7 because the creek behind my house is a coyote path. I raised him from chick and not only does he keep watch, he alerts on things he isn't sure of, and I have even seen him round up hens that are too far from him. He doesn't allow the hens to bicker he gets in between. I have 1 rooster with 11 hens and he isn't rough on them. When the hens are in the nest box if they call he runs to them. Its actually really cool to watch. Guess I was lucky and got a good one.
IMG_3083.JPG

My rooster is amazing, my flock is in a coop or run 24/7 because the creek behind my house is a coyote path. I raised him from chick and not only does he keep watch, he alerts on things he isn't sure of, and I have even seen him round up hens that are too far from him. He doesn't allow the hens to bicker he gets in between. I have 1 rooster with 11 hens and he isn't rough on them. When the hens are in the nest box if they call he runs to them. Its actually really cool to watch. Guess I was lucky and got a good one. View attachment 1676499
And he’s beautiful too! :love

My rooster Olaf a Favorella will get between my girls and a predator. He took on a hawk a few days ago and the hawk lost. It was trying to get a chick and Olaf was not having that happen he called and charged and I heard him and ran out with a gun and I yelled at him to move and he and chick run and needless to say hawk is gone and won't be coming back. Olaf watches hens and chicks and keep everything organized unless I am outside and he is sleeping in my lap. Lol. He makes a fuss when something strange gets near any of my animals outside. I am so blessed to have him.

One of the things I've noticed at BYC time and time again is the dichotomy of the rooster debate. It reminds me of the old nature vs nurture split ... or maybe the stay-at-home vs working mother debate. A lot of people are solidly on one side or the other, but the silent majority are somewhere in the middle. They're pretty much ignoring the rest of us and doing as they please ... as it should be. To each their own.

For the record ... I LOVE my roosters! If at all possible, I wouldn't have a flock without one. Even though my birds are almost never free-ranged, I enjoy the dynamics of a mixed age/mixed gender flock. Although I must say that, as far as entertaining antics and sheer eye candy go, my little Bachelor Flock is by far my favorite!
I do not plan on raising baby chicks at the moment but I do keep roosters. I have Mr Spot who meets all requirements for the perfect roo. Ringo also checks all the boxes. Even though he is only 5 mths old Ricky is turning out to be a good one. Hammertime and Junior both share a run with ladies and they get along fine. Only Hammertime is the one who covers the girls but Junior is the crower. Jameson, Jack and Joey are doing good in their bachelor pad. I love the different crowing. And oh my the bachelors are quiet nice to look at. Mine are confined to coop/runs but their areas are pretty big. The other day I thought it was egg songs but the guineas sounded more excited than normal. Then I heard all roosters growling. I went outside and in the trees there were two owls. Once they saw me my chooks all got quiet and the owls flew away. Funny but when I free ranged and a big bird flew overhead the roosters would growl, guineas squaked and everyone ran to me for protection lol!!

The blue "birdie" in the bathtub is a Blue Heeler aka Australian Cattle Dog pup. Her name is Finnigan. She has only 3 feet. She came from a breeder of show and woking dogs, but one of her front paws was badly injured in a gate at about 14 weeks old and had to be amputated. We gave her a home rather than the breeder putting her down. It slowes her down some, but the drive and natural instinct is still quite intact. Oh, and she loves water and sitting in the kiddie pool! She is just over a year old now and quite the dog for sure!
I LOVE Australian Cattle dogs!!! We have a red healer that is just wonderful. They are wicked smart and have great personalities. They also have fun sense of humors.

[QUOTE="S I heard him and ran out with a gun and I yelled at him to move and he and chick run and needless to say hawk is gone and won't be coming back. .
...but you didn't actually shoot the hawk, did you?[/QUOTE]
I have learned not to ask questions I really don't want the answer to

SSS

Back
Top Bottom