Just how useful is a rooster anyway?

My apologies if I've come over condescending, sarcastic, or dismissive.:)
I have read so many 'kill the rooster' posts here in their various guises that I'm prone to overreacting.
I should probably ignore them.:he
It's true your inner thought processes don't cause your flock any harm, but the decisions you draw from them might. Contempt, which is the best description I can think of for your feelings for the rooster at that moment is a very powerful emotion and does ime influence
the decisions one makes.
I'll let those with a less passionate view respond and hope you accept my apologies for any offense caused.
Please don't stop responding, though! You have one of the best understandings of flock dynamics I've come across, here. You've definitely helped me understand my roos better and as a result, they are happier (and longer lived!)
Oh ... and I have to add a goofy thought that has had me chuckling over the "Kill The Rooster!" description. Anyone remember that old Bugs Bunny cartoon where Elmer Fudd is stalking Bugs singing "Kill the Wabbit!"? I now have this visual/music worm stuck in my head of Elmer, carrying an axe instead of his oversized shotgun, singing "Kill the Wooster, kill the Wooster, Kill the WOOSTER!" I won't be able to walk past my coop with a straight face for DAYS!

Anyone remember that old Bugs Bunny cartoon where Elmer Fudd is stalking Bugs singing "Kill the Wabbit!"? I now have this visual/music worm stuck in my head of Elmer, carrying an axe instead of his oversized shotgun, singing "Kill the Wooster, kill the Wooster, Kill the WOOSTER!" I won't be able to walk past my coop with a straight face for DAYS!
My first rooster HATED my mom. In his defense, she teased him but he was a bad rooster anyway. HE was a Dominique/RIR, so when cull day came my mom started singing the "kill the old red rooster" verse of "She'll be Comin' 'Round the Mountain".

has anyone ever successfully integrated an independant OLD roo into a new young flock of hens?

My reason for asking is that my flock was decimated 2 years ago, leaving only 2 beautiful roos living in my woodpile. One is a Pheonix, the other a georgeous big red guy. They survive quite well without assistance or protection.

I now have the Chicken Fever again. Thus 6 silkies 2 SF and 1 EE on order from Ideal Hatchery. Should I discourage these gents from joining my gals, or give em a chance?

What breed(s)? He's got some good meat on those bones.

Mother was Cuckoo Marans...father was very mixed breed that looks like a Rhode Island red with muffs. (his mix include Spitzhauben, Easter Egger, Blue Copper Marans, Rhode Island Red)

I have the Marans hens and now English Orpingtons to do my own meat birds and replacement layers. Big nice dual purpose birds with good temperament.

has anyone ever successfully integrated an independant OLD roo into a new young flock of hens?

My reason for asking is that my flock was decimated 2 years ago, leaving only 2 beautiful roos living in my woodpile. One is a Pheonix, the other a georgeous big red guy. They survive quite well without assistance or protection.

I now have the Chicken Fever again. Thus 6 silkies 2 SF and 1 EE on order from Ideal Hatchery. Should I discourage these gents from joining my gals, or give em a chance?
I have done it many times. Currently I combining a group of about 8 American Dominique pullets with a five year old American Dominique Cock. The group will be used to produce hatching eggs.

Last edited:
Mother was Cuckoo Marans...father was very mixed breed that looks like a Rhode Island red with muffs. (his mix include Spitzhauben, Easter Egger, Blue Copper Marans, Rhode Island Red)

I have the Marans hens and now English Orpingtons to do my own meat birds and replacement layers. Big nice dual purpose birds with good temperament.
Got it. I've decided to shy away from DP birds because the cockerels don't have much meat. I'm going with more meaty breeds (Cochin, Cornish) and I want to get a good egg layer that isn't your standard leghorn. I love the meat I get from my Dark Cornish.
IMG_8694.JPG

My one and only rooster would land on a sword protecting his hens for everything including leaves, dogs, cats, flowers, and unfortunately, me. No amount of anything I could hope to do changed that about him. After having him put his spurs through my calf a third time I had to send him to freezer camp. Broke my heart.

If you enjoy your roo, keep him. Sounds like he is a sweet guy that enjoys the ladies without murdering everything in the yard.

Hi all,

- but a lasting impression was the rooster, far ahead of his flailing hens, hightailing it behind the house.

When things had calmed down and I went to reassure the hens that all was well again, I found the rooster, as always, mounting his girls. And I just thought, you useless, cowardly creature. You haven't earned that right.

So does this sound like an inordinately ineffective bird? Or is this just par for the course? We put up with the rooster's noise, the girls put up with his insatiable sex drive, and for what? (For what it's worth, to balance the flock more we are adding an additional 4-5 laying hens in June).

Actually its an appropriate response.... The Rooster was trying to lead his hens off to safety.... In the course of an overwhelming attack.

Then the natural response is to insure more are born to the flock to replace any lost.

I keep all the roosters... When there is an attack they scatter leaving the predator confused as to which ones to follow. Sort of like Fish.... Predator attacks and they scatter.

You will almost always find the junior roos around the flock on the fringes... As well... two reasons.... Flock dynamics the Main Roo drives them out... But they serve a purpose in protecting the flock.

one of the first sounds you will hear when a possible predator is approching... Is a High pitched Hawwwk noise... All of them make it including hens but the roos are more alert.

The species came from jungle environs... So imagine Their natural response ....

Antrhopomorpism is a difficult thing to over come... I love giving Words and responses for my animals.... But a person has to keep in mind the natural state of being....

deb

Definitely give them a chance, but don't rush the introductions. To avoid unintentional (and potentially serious) injury to your pullets by over-anxious roosters, wait until your girls are laying to house them with "The Boys." Until then, keep them within sight and sound of, but with no real access to, your roosters. By the time the girls are old enough to handle the advances of a grown rooster, they'll all be accustomed to each other, and your transition should be fairly smooth.

Back
Top Bottom