Just how useful is a rooster anyway?

Pics
Yes, that describes most roosters we have had. I reasoned that it was because we only kept the well behaved ones, which overall were more docile. However, I have noticed one distinct advantage of a roo -- and other flock owners have agreed. They keep order in the flock. If you watch carefully, when 2 hens start bickering, he may casually saunter over and place himself in the path of the offender. Our big Blk Australorp only has to start walking in the direction of some troublemakers and they quickly decide to mind their own business. I've also noticed that when a roo leaves the flock, one of the hens will try to take his role. There is ALWAYS more bickering with no roo at the head.

the best thing my rooster does is keep my neighbors roosters and hens out of my yard. I never wanted a rooster either. I got some unsexed Wyndottes and 1 was a rooster. I was going to get rid of him but my daughters begged me to keep him. He was good natured and still is so he’s been able to stay. They used to play with him and carry him around but he’s too big now! But I did immediately notice upon him maturing that none of the chickens or roosters from next door came in my yard anymore and I prefer it that way, so from now on I’m keeping 1 around!

Hi all,

I've posted a few times about my back and forth thinking regarding keeping a rooster that showed up in our first order of sexed chicks. We ended up with four hens and a RIR rooster. There were a lot of up and down moments, but in the end our observation seemed to be that our little flock was well enough balanced and we figured the rooster provided some extra protection for our free ranging birds.

Thing is, I've been of the mind lately that our rooster actually doesn't do much protecting. We got a dog about two months ago, and while she is always leashed, she loves to make hopeless runs at the curious hens who always show up around us when we go outside. I couldn't help but notice that the rooster seemed unperturbed and also would turn and scoot when the dog showed anything resembling aggression.

Then this morning, as I sat at the breakfast table shortly after letting the flock out of the coop, I heard an almighty commotion. I turned around just in time to see perhaps the most beautiful fox I've ever seen in the wild gleefully chasing my flock through the yard. Everything happened pretty quickly - the dog was thrown into its pen, I ran barefoot into the yard yelling, and chickens were flying everywhere - but a lasting impression was the rooster, far ahead of his flailing hens, hightailing it behind the house. Luckily, no damage was done besides a few ruffled feathers.

When things had calmed down and I went to reassure the hens that all was well again, I found the rooster, as always, mounting his girls. And I just thought, you useless, cowardly creature. You haven't earned that right.

So does this sound like an inordinately ineffective bird? Or is this just par for the course? We put up with the rooster's noise, the girls put up with his insatiable sex drive, and for what? (For what it's worth, to balance the flock more we are adding an additional 4-5 laying hens in June).

Hi all,

I've posted a few times about my back and forth thinking regarding keeping a rooster that showed up in our first order of sexed chicks. We ended up with four hens and a RIR rooster. There were a lot of up and down moments, but in the end our observation seemed to be that our little flock was well enough balanced and we figured the rooster provided some extra protection for our free ranging birds.

Thing is, I've been of the mind lately that our rooster actually doesn't do much protecting. We got a dog about two months ago, and while she is always leashed, she loves to make hopeless runs at the curious hens who always show up around us when we go outside. I couldn't help but notice that the rooster seemed unperturbed and also would turn and scoot when the dog showed anything resembling aggression.

Then this morning, as I sat at the breakfast table shortly after letting the flock out of the coop, I heard an almighty commotion. I turned around just in time to see perhaps the most beautiful fox I've ever seen in the wild gleefully chasing my flock through the yard. Everything happened pretty quickly - the dog was thrown into its pen, I ran barefoot into the yard yelling, and chickens were flying everywhere - but a lasting impression was the rooster, far ahead of his flailing hens, hightailing it behind the house. Luckily, no damage was done besides a few ruffled feathers.

When things had calmed down and I went to reassure the hens that all was well again, I found the rooster, as always, mounting his girls. And I just thought, you useless, cowardly creature. You haven't earned that right.

So does this sound like an inordinately ineffective bird? Or is this just par for the course? We put up with the rooster's noise, the girls put up with his insatiable sex drive, and for what? (For what it's worth, to balance the flock more we are adding an additional 4-5 laying hens in June).
When i got my rooster my hens were 5 years old and taking care of themselves. The pecking order had my very timid americauna with no feathers in the saddle area and i was only getting one egg a day from nine hens. It took several months for him to fit in at first every time he would mount one of the hens several of the other hens would come to her defense and attack him. I have had him for a year now and cleo has regrown her feathers the other hens don’t fight each other. It is much more harmonious and peaceful. Also i am getting from 3 to 5 eggs a day now. My roo is always on gaurd very alert but also very timid. The good news there is that a rooster like that is not going to go into attack mode when someone enters the pen. When they are out foraging they all hover around the roo and i just love the natural interaction in the flock. For me it is definitely worth having the big boy in the flock

My opinion on having a rooster is more positive than negative. Although I have a only had one so far and he was a sweetheart, I was able to witness him guarding his flock (RIP “Rudy” - passed of old age) I am raising new chicks at this time and decided to also purchase a rooster. I will handle him as much as possible to help him understand being friendly. I used to let my chickens free range all day but have come to the decision that with the extended time frame of that schedule that there was too much increased risk for their safety. Then I decided, why not just let them out about 2 hours before dusk and that way at least they can get “some”free ranging”. It has worked well and I don’t have to feel like they are prisoners of their coop. As far as having a rooster, well like any other animal, there will be variations of personality and if you set things up for success ( purchase a chick, handle often, keep their Spurs trimmed) you will have a better chance of having a enjoyable rooster. Including enjoying their beauty!!

Hi all,

We bought straight run chickens last year and wound up with 7 roosters. We didn't really care, as we were raising birds for fun. We wound up giving some roosters away because they were so aggressive toward the other roosters, the chickens, and finally my daughter and myself. They would attack with no warning. We kept 2 brown leghorn roosters and an austrolop. They do seem to guard the chickens, especially when they are on the nesting boxes. However, we bought more birds as the summer went on, and wound up with even more rooters. We bought 6 silver lace wyandotte and wound up with 4 roosters there. Then in September we were at Tractor Supply and they had 9 "leftover" baby chicks, which my daughter felt sorry for, so she bought them. Wound up with 5 roosters out of that bunch. Fortunately, we have neighbors and friends who want roosters just to eat insects, and don't want any hens so we have managed to give most of them away. In my experience, the wyandottes and the brown leghorns are the best roosters to have. We keep the Austrolop simply because he is beautiful. But we never plan to breed our own chicks, so I forsee getting rid of all the roosters except the 3, and as they are captured by varmints or by other means leave this world, we will not replace them. I will buy pullet run chickens this spring.

Roosters are about as handy as a hen that doesn't lay a good amount of eggs.
I don't think I could have chickens without a rooster personally. Love the crowing. Love how they find goodies for the girls and the racket they make telling the flock "over here!, over here!, I found a worm for you!" Same with teaching the little chicks, kinda neat how they interact with the little chicks running around.

I did have a JG rooster once attack and chase off a red fox. It did kill one of the hens but didn't get to eat it.

What is it exactly you expect from your rooster?
I think your getting behavior you might wish from from a boyfriend, or husband confused with another species.:)
Of course he runs from a fox. He's not stupid!
Did you notice if he gave a warning call to his hens?
Do you think he should fight the fox? Seems like a rather unequal match to me.
Roosters are not equipped to fight predators. they are equipped to fight each other.
Honestly, words fail me.:he

I totally agree. The best you can hope for from your rooster is a warning call to the hens. I have free range Old English Bantams that live in a fenced pasture. My rooster is a rotten little thing. He will not tolerate anyone or anything getting close to the hens (including us). He spends a lot of time under a bucket when I need to worm, clip, trim, etc. hens. Nobody can understand why I keep him. Answer is: He has demonstrated twice that he would give his life for the hens. Once with a Siberian Husky and once with a rogue, much larger rooster. Patched him up and he's still kicking. He doesn't even eat when they are out in the pasture, just watches out for the girls. He has no idea that he is a little guy.

Back
Top Bottom