Just In Time Hatching Egg AUCTION and BIN Thread

1 silver laced hen (smooth not frizzled)
All the other hens are frizzled, the roo does not carry the frizzle gene but the silver laced hen does.

WHOA, need to stop you before someone gets this expecting more than what is there.

There is no such thing as a smooth "frizzle carrier". The frizzle gene is either there and the chicken is frizzle feathered, or it's not there at all, and the chicken is smooth. I forgot the word that describes a gene that ALWAYS has a visual effect IF it is inherited. But that's the case here. There is no way a smooth feathered chicken can "carry" the frizzle gene. It's not a recessive trait at all, that only shows up after breeding several generations. It's a dominant trait that will always show up IF the gene was inherited. And if it wasn't inherited at all, they can't pass it on.

Last edited:
"dominant" is the word you are looking for. If even 1 copy of the gene is present, it will show in the phenotype. The frizzle gene is partially dominant, meaning you can always see that it is there, and you can even tell if there are 1 or 2 copies present. Many of these traits are most desirable with only one copy, frizzle is a great example, 2 copies result in brittle, undesirable feathers. Other partially dominant traits we are familiar with are blue and barred. Double dose blue makes splash.

You are exactly right that no chicken can "carry" the frizzle gene without showing it. Only recessive traits can be carried silently and not show in the phenotype.

There are cases where other genes can mask the effect of a dominant gene, but I am not aware of this with frizzle.

"dominant" is the word you are looking for. If even 1 copy of the gene is present, it will show in the phenotype. The frizzle gene is partially dominant, meaning you can always see that it is there, and you can even tell if there are 1 or 2 copies present. Many of these traits are most desirable with only one copy, frizzle is a great example, 2 copies result in brittle, undesirable feathers. Other partially dominant traits we are familiar with are blue and barred. Double dose blue makes splash.

You are exactly right that no chicken can "carry" the frizzle gene without showing it. Only recessive traits can be carried silently and not show in the phenotype.

There are cases where other genes can mask the effect of a dominant gene, but I am not aware of this with frizzle.
You are correct.

But there is no CURRENT gene out there that will mask frizzle. Maybe in the future when we get a mutation somewhere, but right now there isn't one. FYI though, here's a frizzle Punnett square for those interested in getting into frizzles (I know, I know, chat thread, sorry, but trying to clear up mis-information here, although the full explanation is in the breed, showing, and genetics forum). The lowercase f simply means there is no gene present on that chromosome. It does not mean a "recessive frizzle" because there is no such thing. It just means THAT chromosome did NOT receive the gene.

Last edited:
I know it is LATE NOTICE but I have these BIN Available till Satruday PM me if you want them so I will not set them. I set eggs EVERY Saturday in the late afternoon so you have over 24hrs to SAVE THESE FROM MY INCUBATOR! LOL Shipping is $18 and I will combine shipping for up to 32 eggs for $20-22 depending on where you are.

12+ Rhodebars - these are great layers and autosexing at hatch. I have 3 girls and I get 2-3 eggs almost EVERYDAY. BIN $25

12+ Blue and Black Rocks SEXLINKED - I have a SOLID blue Cockerel with some silver leaking over 2 blue and 2 reg Barred Rock hens. These make SEXLINKS. All the pullets will be solid blue or black and the roos will have head spots. BIN $25

12+ (2) Isabelle Split Marans (Same stock as Papa Brooders) - 2 Sets of 12 available. All my birds are split for lavender. You will get 25% Lavenders/50% Split for Lavender and 25% Copper Marans. Isabelles are a PROJECT Color and are a lavender Copper marans. Pretty birds. BIN $45

12+ Blue and Black Copper Marans - Black Copper Cockerel over Blue and Black Copper Hens (3 blue 2 black) I am getting 4-5 eggs a day from that pen and I just can't hatch everything so I am sharing the LOVE!. BIN $35

All prices are PLUS Shipping! I will get these out MONDAY Feb 3, 2014

You can find pics on my pages Sorry I am in a rush and need to go paint. BIG move for the chickens coming up!

droolin.gif
Wishing my bators weren't packed.

WHOA, need to stop you before someone gets this expecting more than what is there.

There is no such thing as a smooth "frizzle carrier". The frizzle gene is either there and the chicken is frizzle feathered, or it's not there at all, and the chicken is smooth. I forgot the word that describes a gene that ALWAYS has a visual effect IF it is inherited. But that's the case here. There is no way a smooth feathered chicken can "carry" the frizzle gene. It's not a recessive trait at all, that only shows up after breeding several generations. It's a dominant trait that will always show up IF the gene was inherited. And if it wasn't inherited at all, they can't pass it on.
I've been thru this before. I saved one picture of one of her offspring. If I kept them all My computer would be full just with pictures of babies. That is kept all the pics of all the chickens i've hatched. So here is the proof that she does produce frizzled offspring. I was wrong I still have a few pics from last summers chicks. The first pic the one on the right is from her and on the bottom, that is hers also. Last spring I hatched alot of eggs. I only had 3 smooth and they where all 3 white.All the other chicks where frizzled except for the 2 silver partridges. I had mostly sizzles but got some frizzled silkies. I pick what I plan to use for my pens and sell the rest.

These 2 pics are of the last batch that a broody hatched. You can see one smooth white one and the calico looking one. I kept the white sizzle and the grey one out of this bunch. The grey one turned out with no visable frizzling and the white one was very frizzled. I still have 2 of the white ones. They are boys and haven't sold yet. When I hatch the sizzles It seems that most that turn out smooth are boys and most of the frizzled ones are girls. That white hen is the mother to the white ones. That other white chick in the middle of the last pic turned out a frizzled silkie pullet. I still have her also. I thought she was a boy till the other 2 started crowing and she didn't. I'm waiting for an egg before I put her in the sizzle pen.

I should do a test and keep the smooth ones and breed them together to see if I get any frizzled ones. That I think would be good proof that they do carry the gene but it's notshowing visual proof of it. I am no scientist or a professional about genetics. I just know what my birds produce.

You are correct.

But there is no CURRENT gene out there that will mask frizzle. Maybe in the future when we get a mutation somewhere, but right now there isn't one. FYI though, here's a frizzle Punnett square for those interested in getting into frizzles (I know, I know, chat thread, sorry, but trying to clear up mis-information here, although the full explanation is in the breed, showing, and genetics forum). The lowercase f simply means there is no gene present on that chromosome. It does not mean a "recessive frizzle" because there is no such thing. It just means THAT chromosome did NOT receive the gene.

Well this just confirmed what I previously posted. This year as a test I will use my smooth birds that may hatch and but them together and hatch their eggs and see what happens.. I know what i've gotten in the past from this particular hen. I get more smooth from my white hen than I do the others. When I plan to hatch eggs myself I will mark the eggs with a code of which hen it came from. When I sell eggs I mark them by which pen they came out of. If I happen to catch the hen in the process of laying her egg I will mark on the egg who laid it. But for my own needs I can tell which hen laid which egg just by color, size and shape.

What's the model #?

Same as it always was - 9200. They just changed the design. The new design was only released within the last month or so though, because I bought one in January with the old design, and one in February with the new design. I did an entire write-up on it which you can see by clicking HERE. The box even has a red circle on it about 1.5 inches across that says "new housing design".

And the best part is... IT CAN NOW HOLD GOOSE EGGS! This is WITH a turner! I just tested it yesterday with three sebastopol goose eggs, and they COULD fit on end now if you wanted or if a turner was developed that way, although geese should be incubated with the egg laying on it's side. I didn't leave my goose eggs in there because I already had another incubator set up and warmed up for them. But if if you modify a chicken egg turner, you can have geese automatically turned and incubated, using a Little Giant incubator!

So here is the proof that she does produce frizzled offspring.
Since she is smooth-feathered, the ONLY way she can produce frizzled offspring, is if she is mated to a frizzle roo. If SHE has smooth feathers, and you put her with a smooth-feathered roo, you will ONLY get smooth-feathered chicks. There just isn't any such thing as a frizzle CARRIER that does NOT have frizzle feathers. ONE of the parents MUST have frizzle feathers for the chicks to have frizzle feathers.

Also, if she's a true silver-laced hen, and the white silkie is a true white, those aren't their offspring. According to the calculator found HERE with years upon years of scientific research behind it, a silver laced hen bred to a white roo will ONLY produce unicolor white or unicolor black. They won't produce chicks with barring, they won't produce blue, and they won't produce partially brown chicks either.

So if those babies really are from the silver laced hen, then the white silkie can not POSSIBLY be the daddy. If the white silkie was definitely the only possible daddy, then the silver laced hen is definitely NOT the mother.

Now I'm not saying the entire PEN will be smooth feathered, because clearly many of your hens are frizzles, so they can pass the gene to their offspring. But a smooth rooster (the white silkie) bred with a smooth hen (the silver laced) will ONLY produce smooth feathered chicks. Period.

Back
Top Bottom