just introducing myself

1stMiracle

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 14, 2013
My wife and I have wanted chickens for years. After adopting the single survivor from an almost failed hatch in the classroom, we decided to jump right in.
We've got a few each of buff orpingtons, wellsummers, and black sexlinks to get started. I hope we're not in over our head, but the more attached we became to our miracle chick, the more we began to read, and the more anxious we got. We decided to skip waiting for another hatch and buy some pullets to get started. Our miracle chick is a buff orpington. It's like a pet--follows us around the yard--and has already gained popularity in the neighborhood.
hugs.gif

...he's a rooster. I intentionally left that detail out of the OP. I am crossing my fingers in the hopes that he doesn't find his crow. I've heard of single rooster flocks in which the rooster never crows. For the sake of our love of this little feathered fellow, I hope he's one of those rare birds. Otherwise, we'll be seeking a good home for him.

His story:

(background) I hatch chicks every year in my classroom. The resulting chicks are always returned to the farmer from which I got the eggs, after we've had a couple of weeks to study and enjoy them.

This year, my incubator took a turn for the worse, or certain little hands played with the dial...not sure which.
hmm.png
But it happened more than once. I knew it was going to be hard for those unborn chicks after the hours of adjusting it took to get the temp right each time. The only surviving chick was the little guy pictured in my avatar. My students proposed various names and voted. The name "Miracle" won by a landslide. We all agreed it was a miracle that he hatched among so many that didn't (@30).

Everyone is amazed when they see him following us around the yard, perching on our shoulder, or even on my beagle. The beagle just lays there and takes it
smile.png
. Miracle has never seen another chicken, until we brought our new chicks home today. My daughter, also pictured in my avatar, loves him and loves feeding him bugs and worms. She makes sure we pray for him all the time; even before meals.
smile.png

Last edited:
Hi and :welcome

That's really cute. I hope you guys get to keep Miracle, he sounds really sweet! I think it'll be okay, as long your neighbours don't mind. :]

Welcome to BYC. In reality, there is very little likelihood that Miracle will remain silent. Try to locate a 'possible' home before he starts crowing just in case you need to relocate him. Such a pet deserves a 'forever' home.

No layers yet. All too young still.
However, doubt has begun to creep in about Miracle's rooster status. The man who claimed he was a rooster had full confidence at the time (can't recall how many weeks it was at the moment). With my limited knowledge, I also assumed the spur buds on the lower leg were indicative of a rooster. I have in just the past several hours read that this is NOT in any way an indicator of sex. The lack of a prominent comb developing + testing the pendulum method of sexing has led me to think Miracle may be a hen after all.
roll.png

Here is what Miracle looks like now, next to my beagle for reference. I had to put them in our temporary "while we're out" cage to get them to sit still together out in the sunshine on such a hot day.

Back
Top Bottom