:( Just joined and now tragedy

shemarie

Chirping
14 Years
Feb 22, 2007
Topeka, KS
I just joined the forum yesterday....and wanted to post cuz I knew there would be people who understand. I have 4 lovely chickens...all different breeds and just love them and today two wretched undisciplined little dogs got into my fenced back yard and killed Dottie...a beautiful Barred Plymouth Rock, actually she was my favorite. I am so sad...... I know these things do happen..but inside my chain link I thought they were pretty safe. I have been thinking about building a tractor so they had a little extra security and now I know what I will be spending my extra dollars on. Who would have ever thought I would shed tears over a chicken....thanks for listening. Here is a moment of silence for Dottie----------------------------------------------------- Thanks, Shemarie

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
sad.png

These little creatures can really become so close to us!
I just had a tragic accident myself this morning with one of my hens chicks, so I can relate.

Did these dogs dig under the chain link enclosure?
When you put your tractor together, you may consider putting a wire mesh floor on it to help keep out predators and punk dogs.
There's a thread going on about that somewhere here.

Welcome to the site, by the way.

There was a hole that they slipped under. They were little dogs...Min. Pins I think. I wouldn't be soooo upset I don't think if it was a fox or something..but a dog should be controlled...

I can't agree with you more!
Did you bring it to the attention of the owner? You should report these loose/unclontrolled dogs (especially since they have proven to kill enclosed pets) to the local animal control. There just is no excuse for allowing dogs to roam freely and endanger any other animals.

Quote:
As well as the neighborhood children......

Sorry to hear about your chicken....you can sign a complaint against the owner of the dogs for letting them 'run at large' if you want to take that route.....

Last edited:
I thwarted an attack just yesterday....duck screaming bloody murder and when I got outside it was in a pitbulls mouth! She's ok.... and I only found some minor injuries on another chicken. There were two dogs and I kept them at bay with a shovel until the sheriff arrived. They were back this morning!!!!!! Animal control caught one of the two and posted the owners house! YEAH.

*If you're out in the country where you can shoot a gun--get one and learn to use it. You have the right to protect your livestock (pets)
*If you know whose dogs they were--call your local animal control and report it.
*You can send a bill for that chicken (I know she was priceless....but...it makes the point.

I AM SOOOOOOOOO SOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYY

Sandra

shemarie, sorry about the loss. This is one of my biggest concerns because my flock is allowed to free-range afternoons till they come home to roost.

Just by luck on two different occasions before I left the hens out, there were dogs on our property.

Once I caught the dogs and took to the police dept. ( that's a story itself ). The other time just days ago, in the morning again 2 large hunting dogs, one hound and one bird dog were running around. I tryed to catch them but they took off. I know there would of been losses.

In our state we have a right to protect our livestock, and believe me I'm a hunter and would not hesitate to take action. I love my flock and will protect them!

I choose to leave my birds in till noon for two reasons. One is so they have a chance to lay before I leave them out, and two because it keeps them safe for half the day.

I hope my luck continues and I also realize the chance I'm taking by free-ranging, however the benefits are worth the risk in my opinion.

Sorry to ramble.......

bigzio

Shemarie,
You might think about setting up a pulsating electric fence around the outside of your chain link. This might deter other potential predators, as well. I have a Husky dog that, as a pup, dearly loved to dig out from under our chain link, and in a blur he'd be gone. I put up an electric fence around the inside perimeter, and after a few yelps, he now knows the purpose of the wire. In fact, I use the electric fence around my chicken run, and I've also wired my chicken tractor. So far , so good! The fence does require an occasional inspection to be sure it doesn't accidently become grounded, say by a stick or leaves or such, because to keep the killer muts out, your wire would need to relatively close to the ground. Mine is about 8" off the ground, all the way around the inside of our yard.
So sorry for your loss, focus on your survivors.
-Spence

Back
Top Bottom