Just joined from central PA.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Wishiwasafarmer, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Wishiwasafarmer

Wishiwasafarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    Hey everybody. Hoping to become a chicken person like you all.

I've been reading the forum for several months and appreciate all the good advice. I often wished I lived out of town on a farm but never made it, so when I picked up a magazine with a chicken on it recently I thought I'd start right where I am with chickens. I've never seen a real live one, so I thought I'd hatch one. Surfed the web, found you guys, and after studying a while I built an incubator from parts around the house. Now I have 22 eggs in it that I got in the mail. They are due to hatch this Saturday, the 21st. I'll be as disappointed as my kids if they don't make it. Everything looks alright so far, wish me luck.

2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    well fist of all welcome to byc.im so happy for you i wish you happy hatchinghave you candled them

3. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! You will love it here [​IMG]

-Austin from SC

4. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    [​IMG]

5. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Hi there! Best of luck with your eggs! [​IMG]

6. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    This forum has the most wonderful instruction and friendly people anywhere willing to offer, share and assist ideas and information.

Good luck with your hatch - that's a pretty big undertaking to BYO incubator and try to hatch eggs - me? I bought the eggs first, realized in transit I didn't have access to a bator and ran to Rural King.

Now I'm a confirmed hatchaholic!

Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

7. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    From Old Town, Maine

8. Wishiwasafarmer

Wishiwasafarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    Thanks everybody.

Yes I candled them with a flashlight. The first time I could see something in all of them except two, they were clear so I threw them out.

My wife wasn't keen on the whole idea at first but now she says if they don't make it we can buy the chicks if I want, so I'm good to go. I already started on a coup. Also, I work the next three days so at least the time will go fast and I won't hover over them like a mother hen (or father rooster I should say!). I'll check back here but follow up over in the incubating/hatching forums to let you know what happens. Thanks again for the welcome.

9. MikelJohn

MikelJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Abbeville, LA
    Hi from cajun country!

10. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Good luck with the eggs and [​IMG] from NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by