Just joined the world of quail! Injured bird - update

Quail are not as domesticated as chickens and still go back to their natural tendancies in the wild, to need their own space. You need to look in the stickies section above the quail forums here to get ideas for pens for them.

I keep my bobs in an aviary style setting and during breeding season each pair has to be separated in to a cage as they will kill each other. Quail are brutal.

Now, you will not be able to leave them like that over night, in those over turned crates. Something will get in thru the holes, either paws or small rodents. Both of which can kill your quail. Not to mention the top can be flipped off pretty easily.

do you know how many males and females you have? Might be that there are too many males for the amount of females you have and they are scrapping. Should ideally be 1 male for at least every 3 females in a colony, I find 1 in 5 worked well for me, no scrapping but still high fertility. I also found on occasion I had a group of racist birds that would go after birds of a certain colour.

I've run into the same type of injury before. One of my females was hurt at that same spot, i believe it to just be bullying. I keep a 1:4 ratio with my birds, its probably someone trying to be the dominant in their new setting.

Hmmm. I seem to have lost my post.
The crate have locked feed bins on top to keep them from being knocked over. I was more worried about te draft at night. I live in Florida, so I don't know if that is a big concern, since it is 90 during the day this week. We have a shed that I have our baby chicks an turkeys in, should I move them in there? Orshould I put them in the dog kennel with a blanket to keep them from escaping?
We fully plan on building appropriate cages from them, thanks for the note about the sticky threads, I hadn't seen them, so that is very helpful. when we bought the quails, the breeder had them all in one much smaller pen and they seemed ok, so I thought we would be fine until Monday, when we planned on getting all the supplies to build a cage for them.

The breeder told us he gave us ten quail, three being male. My plan was to build three separate enclosures, one for each color we have, and one for each male with the two to three females. I am unsure how to sex them, although the breeder told us, I need to do a lot more research on quails before we breed or such. Unfortunately, they where an impulse buy while we where at the farm getting our turkeys. I never thought about have quail, butt husband thought it would be great game meat. We are both chefs, and quail eggs are a treat to cook with. It surprises me the eggs are more readily available since the turn over on quail can be so quick, and they are fairly good layers. I had plannedwell for our turkeys and chickens, doing all my research in advance and getting all the supplies ahead of time. We had a cage that we thought would suit them, but did not know how aggressive they could be towards one another. Lesson learnedTo never buy a new species on impulse, but now I definitely need to make sure these three white quail do not suffer from my mistake.

I have been checking them about every half hour, and they seem to be doing much better then this morning. They seem pretty happy in their little separate quarters an I hope they heal fast./:'me

WAIT!! I just read on the sticky thread that the white quail produce white meat and they are the only ones. Does that mean and white quail? I am unsure if mine are that specific species, but if so, that is what we like. I only want white haha!!

Back
Top Bottom