just joined today for info....

justmehere

Hatching
Jun 3, 2016
To research before "jumping on the Back Yard Chicken Raising Movement" like a lot of suburbanites. Not sure where to start so this site should help me out. Years ago a friend that raised different types of chickens said the best eggs came from a chicken (I believe with "Blue" in the name of the breed).

Hit up the learning center above.
So wise of you to want to educate yourself before jumping in.
The quality of the egg is not affected by the breed in any way. It is strictly about diet. The best eggs come from free ranging birds on good pasture and fed a complete feed.
The color of the egg shell is breed specific, the taste and quality of the ingredients are about the diet.

Oh, and welcome!!!

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC! No breed of chickens lays better eggs than another - the difference is the diet. Free range chickens have better eggs than factory raised chickens for example.
smile.png

X2
I was talking to the owner of a produce market up the street about chickens. She said how much she loved the taste of brown eggs. I told her that if fed the same diet, there would be no difference in taste regardless of the color of the eggs.
The more we talked, the angrier she got. I offered to bring her a white, a brown and a green egg from hens all fed the same diet. She wanted nothing to do with it because it flew in the face of what she had always believed.

I think what happened is that she got brown farm eggs and compared that flavor to white store eggs.

X2
I was talking to the owner of a produce market up the street about chickens. She said how much she loved the taste of brown eggs. I told her that if fed the same diet, there would be no difference in taste regardless of the color of the eggs.
The more we talked, the angrier she got. I offered to bring her a white, a brown and a green egg from hens all fed the same diet. She wanted nothing to do with it because it flew in the face of what she had always believed.

I think what happened is that she got brown farm eggs and compared that flavor to white store eggs.

Yeah, that is a surprisingly common mistake. I live in a small rural town where almost everybody that has space for chickens has them, so they know, but a lot of "city people" don't have a clue. Most people are willing to learn though.

Justmehere - I think this suburban backyard chicken movement is great! You should definitely go for it and get some chickens!
smile.png

Yep I agree! Get some chickens! I started with 6 pullets four years ago and it is the most rewarding hobby! :)

Welcome to Backyard chickens. You might want to read some of the new Members intros, and see how they feel about their first chickens etc. For the most part, they are thrilled to he having them. At the other end, they report a lot of massacred birds/chicks, due to their own dogs/cats. A chicken has never killed a dog. It's always good to check out the coop building thread for ideas that make them safer, and the predator threads to find out what may be lurking in your locale.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Good to hear you are researching before jumping in like some of us did!
hide.gif
Here's a good section to get you started:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens

Regarding the eggs, a breed with "blue" in the name… Blue Hen of Delaware comes to mind. But as ChickenCanoe said, diet is everything. Free ranging birds fed a good layer mash and whatever goodies they find outdoors lay the best eggs, regardless of breed. Though some breeds I've been told lay nicer table eggs than others, for example my friends that breed Buckeyes told me they lay exceptional eggs with massive yolks. Egg production is another thing to consider, some breeds lay near daily and others will give you between 100 and 150 eggs per hen annually. You'll have to do some research and see which breeds fit your personal needs and space the best.

Back
Top Bottom