just killed

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by rmelvin23, Oct 10, 2010.

1. rmelvin23

rmelvin23 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    we processed 12 out of 25 jumbo cornish x today. After we plucked and eviserated them, we put them in a clean garbage can lined with a bag with lots of ice and water. WHen I took them out of the water, there was brownish looking stuff mixed in with the natural ooze under the skin. Is this just residual blood that has mixed in with the membranes? please help!!!!!!!!!! It is the first time we did chickens, we did turkeys last year. We are just freaking because as a society we are very disconnected from our food. Just looking to hear some encouraging words. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks.

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    ewww I had the same thing happen to me. I was grossed out by it and still the chicken is in the freezer and I'm still not eating it. The dogs will get it. I just started to rinse them really good and but them in poultry bags then in the ice water, I didn't have it happen then.

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I would think it's just blood.

4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I just did mine, and had them in salt and water and ice, and they came out beautiful.

5. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    I would say blood. We have had this happen a few times when we were in a hurry and the meat has all ways been fine.

6. WVDan44

WVDan44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    MD
    I would never process anything without salt water. It has a drawing affect. Also temperature is all important.

7. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    i never use salt water w/ my birds and have never had an issue. it's all about a good bleed out from a skillful kill.

8. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I like using salt water, but it is by no means "necessary" in processing. It does help to draw out blood, it breaks down tissue, and keeps your water colder, but that stuff happens just fine without salt as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by