Just late layers or cause for concern?

Mablethechicken

Songster
Apr 16, 2020
Southern New Jersey
Hi all! I have two hens in my flock that will be exactly 30 weeks old this Tuesday. One is a blue copper Marans and the other a white silkie. Both are definitely hens (showing no rooster telltales or behaviors). Is it crazy they aren’t laying eggs yet?

Hi all! I have two hens in my flock that will be exactly 30 weeks old this Tuesday. One is a blue copper Marans and the other a white silkie. Both are definitely hens (showing no rooster telltales or behaviors). Is it crazy they aren’t laying eggs yet?
They may start after Solstice, when the days begin to get longer.
Do you have other pullets the same age that are laying?

FYI-PSA.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

They may start after Solstice, when the days begin to get longer.
Do you have other pullets the same age that are laying?

FYI-PSA.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.
Thanks @aart! Can always count on great information from you. Here’s hoping they start after the solstice. 🤞
Those two are the only pullets from my late April hatch so none to really compare them to. Their two other hatch mates are cockerels. I do have two other pullets that are only 20 weeks (a Jersey giant and an Easter egger) who are not laying yet either but at this rate maybe they’ll be laying before the marans and the silkie! Lol

Back
Top Bottom