Just learning the art of chickening...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JellyBeanCee, Aug 26, 2011.

1. JellyBeanCee

JellyBeanCee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I'm still in the researching stage of what breeds of chickens would work best for me in my area, for my needs, etc. I'm in the process of building a chicken tractor right now. Using a recycled dog house and will use as many "found" materials as possible to help keep our planet going as well as to keep my costs down. We plan on having around 2-4 hens, we aren't allowed roosters in our area. We (me and my bf) currently have 3 dogs and 3 cats already and many deer, bunnies, cardinals, lizards and other critters that are passersby. So right now I'm kind of a lurker on this forum, reading up on tips, tricks, suggestions and getting ideas for my new chicken tractor, feeders/waterers, brooder boxes and hopefully not in the too distant future, selecting my chickies. It's been great reading all the wonderful info posted on here. Your group is fabulously supportive of one another it seems. Though, I can say that I'm not only a newbie to BYC, I've never joined any forums at all...so this is new as well. That said, hope everyone has a great day!
    [​IMG]

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Welcome to byc. You might want to add where you are if you want suggestions on breeds of chickens for your area.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio!

I think you'll love having chickens! I did exactly what you're doing now....Lots of research!

Take care and glad you joined!

Sharon

4. JellyBeanCee

Aug 26, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Whoops...I live in Austin, TX.

5. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Hello and welcome from neighboring Louisiana!

6. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    There's alot of stuff here, can spend hours, (ok, DAYS) looking for info. I just joined, and am constantly finding new threads that suit my needs. Welcome aboard, and good luck. And look up chicken math. LOVE IT! Roberta

7. JellyBeanCee

Aug 26, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone. I look forward to learning more about my future chickens as I build their home. Just hoping for a little less heat outdoors or construction will have to occur at 5am every day.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, JellyBeanCee! [​IMG] Glad you joined. It think you are wise to do the research first. [​IMG] I dove in with both feet and had to learn on the fly! Best of luck to you and your birds!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join us.

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by