Just lost 20 chickens to what appears to be a weasle this a.m.

chickboss

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Well, there are some things that electric netting won't keep out and apparently weasles are on that list. Found twenty of my young chickens dead this a.m. in their movable hay coop. We are trying to pasture them but have found very little on how to do that and keep the structure light weight or otherwise easy to move, and still rock solid predator wise. I read about hay houses, and people have been sucessful with them as long as they are surrounded by electric, so I thought they would most likely be okay. I am so broken hearted, there were a couple in there that were real pets. I am going to catch that thing and dispatch it to the otherside. Most of them were barely even touched, just killed. This is just depressing.

Last edited:
No, no burrows found so far. Weasle fits the discription that I read and it said that they will kill several at a time in a way that appears like it was just for fun. Could be something else, no doubt, we're going to set a trap, so if it comes back we'll know for sure then.

Aww I'm so sorry.
sad.png
hugs.gif

This is very sad. I am sorry for your loss. Mink/Weasel are very difficult to exclude/eliminate.

We are pastruing in electronet with these + tarp.

http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/4hpoultry/t02_pageview/Hoop_House.htm

We lose them to owls when not tight inside overnight.

We lost 3 adult birds to a mink in winter shelter, but have not lost any when shut up in these overnight and surrounded with electronet.

We are on a local skunk's daily route, and at the moment he is well trained regarding the fence. We have watched him avoid the fence even when it was not on and young birds were clearly visible on the other side.

I hope you find a solution that works for you. You are making me nervous about relying on the electrnet, but I really want the birds to be portable, just like you.

I am so sorry for your loss. Predators are unrelenting and will do whatever for a meal or two. I suggest to everyone that you keep your birds locked up tight at night. They have to be in Ft. Knox (which is possible)! I have 30 + birds of all ages and they are locked up tight at night - won't take a chance. I live 1 mile from a downtown,,,on alot of land,,,and we have packs of coyote, skunk, raccoon, weasel, mink, hawks and possum etc. The problem is that once those critters get a taste they will be back,,,don't give them the opportunity! Good Luck

hugs.gif
hit.gif
I am so sorry to hear of the loss of 20 chicks, that is horrible. Weasels are bad a**es. It is heart breaking to lose ones pets to predators. Hope you get the bugger.

Thanks everyone for your advice and support. It is really apreciated. Essentially, for us, aside from the emotional aspect, this represented a 20% loss in our poultry flocks. You all know that it can cost more than expected to raise these guys up, and I feel that we cared for them very well overall. So time and money down the drain, and a huge emotional hit as well. We have a trap out, and I hope we catch the thing soon, before it smells out our other poultry. Luckily, much of our other housing is much more secure, and I will be spending tomarrow looking for gaps, ect.

Thank you JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom, I think if I were to add a wire mesh floor that I could cover with hay to that design, it may work out just fine. I too felt very safe using the netting. We have had skunk hit the mesh, spray and then run off, so I felt that it was doing it's job. Which it no doubt is agianst larger predators. I'll let you all know if we catch it.

Back
Top Bottom