Just making sure I got this right :)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenlorena, Nov 1, 2010.

1. chickenlorena

chickenlorena Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2010
    One of my hens is laying and we have 3 young pullets. I'm feeding all them grower feed and put out crushed oyster shell for the hen as she pleases. If I understand correctly, the pullets will not eat the oysters shells, even if it's available to them, right? I heard extra calcium in young pullets could be damaging to their health so I'm just making sure [​IMG] I'm a newbie here so sorry if it's an obvious question... Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
    in my experience they poke around at it a little bit, but won't eat much... a hen that's laying will usually eat what she needs.

3. chickenlorena

chickenlorena Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2010
    Thanks, PortageGirl!

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    You're doing what I'd do which makes it the right thing by my standards. I'm not being egotistical just letting you know that we're both in the same boat.

5. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    That's what I would do too! In fact I don't use layer feed due to my pet turkey. So it's flock raiser to crushed oyster shell for my birds all the time.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

All my chickens like to eat a little of the oyster shell, laying or not. But not much- more like an experiment.

7. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    they'll eat what they need.

luke.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by