Just making sure... this is a rooster, right?

skodegaard

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 31, 2013
So I have a chicken that has started crowing and looks noticeably different than the other chicken of the same breed (silver laced wyandotte). I just want to get other opinions as well that this is in fact a rooster.

Assuming it is so, what precautions do I need to take to make sure he doesn't fertilize any of my hens? I read somewhere that a good age to process dual purpose birds is between 4-5 months with a penning period of 2 weeks before processing to "fatten" them up (because they are free roaming). Is this correct?

They are currently 12 weeks old.

This is the one that crows.

This is the one that doesn't crow.

Even though the comb and waddle are much bigger and more red and it's starting to crow?

That is a rooster all the way. Any bird that crows this young is a rooster. That whole crowing hen thing is older, mature hens with hormonal issues.

18-20 weeks is the average age to process dual purpose roosters. Most folks don't really fatten them up. I did read of one woman who wanted a nice layer of fat on the birds for cooking purposes and fed them pretty much corn the last few weeks and was very happy as she had nice lumps of fat. But I don't think there's much you could feed them to make them gain enough actual weight to make a difference.

If you go to the meat bird section, they have nice pictures of different breeds' carcasses. I've seen some Wyandotte carcasses with absolutely huge thighs and legs!!

That is a rooster all the way. Any bird that crows this young is a rooster. That whole crowing hen thing is older, mature hens with hormonal issues.

18-20 weeks is the average age to process dual purpose roosters. Most folks don't really fatten them up. I did read of one woman who wanted a nice layer of fat on the birds for cooking purposes and fed them pretty much corn the last few weeks and was very happy as she had nice lumps of fat. But I don't think there's much you could feed them to make them gain enough actual weight to make a difference.

If you go to the meat bird section, they have nice pictures of different breeds' carcasses. I've seen some Wyandotte carcasses with absolutely huge thighs and legs!!

Ive looked for that thread....do you have a link??

The first pic really does look like a roo, but the second pic has me doubting lol maybe another photo? by a full pic by himself standing...if that'll be easy to take xD Sometimes you can tell by how they tall are, if not, then just wait a little longer or listen to the others above me :) Good luck!

The first pic really does look like a roo, but the second pic has me doubting lol maybe another photo? by a full pic by himself standing...if that'll be easy to take xD Sometimes you can tell by how they tall are, if not, then just wait a little longer or listen to the others above me :) Good luck! 

Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear, the first pic is the crowing suspected rooster. The second pic is the other hen I have of the same breed, simply for comparison.

That is  a rooster all the way. Any bird that crows this young is a rooster. That whole crowing hen thing is older, mature hens with hormonal issues.

Thank you for the input - very helpful! If you do have a link for that thread I would be grateful!!

Back
Top Bottom