Just molt, a bully, or something else?

CradG

Songster
6 Years
Jun 13, 2017
About half my girls, mostly the ones that are about 15 months old (but some on the 3 year olds) are missing feathers almost exclusively on their necks and heads. Is this just a normal molt, do I have feather pickers, or should I treat for mites or lice or something? They are all otherwise healthy, laying eggs, and I have not noticed any lice or mites but don't know what to look for. Thanks. I can take more pictures if it would help.

Attachments

• IMG_2058.jpg
    IMG_2058.jpg
    641.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2059.jpg
    IMG_2059.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2060.jpg
    IMG_2060.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 14
9 hens. Some free ranging but mostly in a 12 x 12 x 7 run with 12x5 coop. Easter eggers, orpingtons, and an austrolorp.

In that case, I'd check for mites and lice. Pick them up and inspect them, closely, preferably with a magnifying glass. Look around the bases of the feathers, under the wings, around the vent, everywhere you can think of.

What do you feed them? Usually, feather picking comes from boredom, overcrowding, or lack of protein.
For 9 hens, you'd need a 36sqft coop and a 90sqft run at minimum. You have a 60sqft coop and 144sqft run, so that's definitely not your problem.

Do you have the time to sit out there and watch them for picking?

Feed them eggland's best layer mini pellets. 17% protein.

I'll give it a go. They are pretty focused on me when I am around them, as I'm their food guy. I have a camera in the run and havent noticed any picking on that either.. I'll try a magnifying glass. Any advice on best way to treat and what to look for if it is lice or mites?

Back
Top Bottom