Just molting or something else

ThinkingChickens

Songster
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
My Barred Rock looked perfect from the top, but when I went to pick her up her whole underside is bald. I don't see anything but skin, but I never saw her molt up top. So, could this just be molting or should I treat her for parasites? I have DE in the run and she's eating, moving normally. My others girls molted differently, they didn't just go bald on the belly.

Sounds weird I don' t think she is molting. If she is acting strange is not eating, she probably is has parasites or another bug or sickness.

She's acting normal, and eating and drinking as normal. I'll have to have my husband help me inspect her later this afternoon. I have DE in the next boxes and in their favorite dust bathing areas. I'll try to take some photos.

If it's mites or lice, DE will not stop a real infestation. Usually a bare belly, though, is because they have plucked their feathers to set a bunch of eggs, when broody. They can get a bare spot on the chest if they are continually rubbing the area on something, too.

Back
Top Bottom