Just moved 1 year olds

regberts

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2016
Wondering if anyone has moved chickens. We just started our flock and picked up 13 one year old chickens that were already laying. (cheated and took the easy way out) The farmer told us they might stop laying for a while since we disturbed them with the move. We have had them for 4 days now and no egg production. Is this normal? When does anyone think they may start laying?

I am in no way an expert and am fairly new myself but I'm not surprised they stopped laying. Moving can be stressful on them. Once they settle down they should lay again.

I recently moved with my chickens, and they stopped production for a while. They are slowly getting back on track. How far did you move them? Look around to make sure they aren't laying in the wrong place, if they aren't cooped up.

welcome-byc.gif

Give them 2 weeks or so.

I move birds to different pens a lot. Even being used to it like mine are, and on the same property, etc, they still take a decent dip in production when moved.

And it's not cheating at all! Nothing says you have to mess with day old chicks, brooders, lamps or pads, etc. I think started pullets are a great way to go for a lot of folks.

Last edited:
Thanks, the farmer I got the girls from said they might have an adjustment period. Just thought I would see what the members here had to say about it. Not panicking, just anxious.

Back
Top Bottom