just moved chicks outside

So, wait a minute I have a question....mines are 3 weeks old and I have broilers, black autralorp and guineas. Ive been keeping them in the house in a box the entire time and I am ready for them to GO!!! You mean I can put them outside in the chicken coop?? i have a 4 x 6 coop with a 36 foot run attached to it. The run is enclosed and the coop is draft free....Do you think that I can put them in the coop and not worry about them!!!

are there adult hens in it already??? they might be to small,, if not as long as they have their feathers they should be fine.. seems a little young though..

No, this is the first time that I have raised chickens.....this has been quite an ordeal especially from someone like me who is a germophobe!!!! They are in the HOUSE!!!!!! I have about 15 guineas, 10 Black australorp, and 15 broilers....Im sorry the coop is 5x7 but the run is 36 feet. The broilers seem to have like spots where the feathers are missing...the guneas are FLYING everywhere...my laundry room has DUST all over the place!!!! I received them on November 21st....honestly, I want my house back.
smile.png
Its 46 degrees right now and Im looking at the 7 day forecast and the lowest will be Saturday at 38 degreens but the highest days will be 71 degrees....for those with experience please help. I dont want to lose any as I have put in a lot of work (changing their boxes DAILY!!) plus I couldnt handle the guilt if they died because I put them out but at the same time, if they can go out, I am more than ready. Pelase let me know you guys thought! Thanks in advance for the replies!!

Im not sure if i answered but no, there are no hens at all....Do i need to purchase one or two to keep them warm? Im more than willing to do that Let me know...thanks!

i would lock them inside the coop... maybe you could put in a heat lamp just in case... i wouldn't let them in the run except when you are there to watch them. when my were smaller i would put their water and food on the floor in the coop and a heat lamp pointed to one corner.. they were too small to get up on the roost in the coop. they did good and during the day i would let them in the run for a little while. it was fun watching them run around.. good luck and enjoy!!!!
wee.gif

Would purchasing a hen or two help with this transitioning process? Just curious. Thanks so much for all advice!! This is my first time and I am very sure I will never do this in the winter time again.
smile.png
Our summers are hot here--95 is normal for us so definitely in the summer time is when I will try this again.
smile.png

my chicks are out from day l ... leave one side of brooder open at all times. (for open air - wired ).(use tarp when windy, rainy or just nasty out ) .. use 2 heat lamps (had 26 chicks) nailed securely so no fires.. room for them to move away when warm and move under when cold....they are now 2 months and have moved to their own BIG GIRL coop with dirt floor...added straw to keep them off dirt in very cold weather (28 degrees as of late) they sleep in a bunch for warmth ... all is well...they are all feathered out and don't seem to be bothered by the cold at all....much less work now that they are out of brooder... NO HEAT needed after 6 weeks should have all their feathers by then....they need to aclimate to the cold ..use heat lamp only until they get all their feathers or EXTREME cold....better for their health....This is what I learned on BYC and has proven correct....growing, growing, growing,.. best of luck - G Merry Christmas

I have all of mine outside. They are about 9 weeks now, and have been outside since 3 weeks. It's pretty cold here in Central PA now, and they are doing just fine. I try to acclimate them to the cooler weather slowly... they go from my living room to my unheated mudroom with a lamp, then without a lamp, then outside to the coop. They huddle together and haven't had any problems. I wouldn't put a hen in there with them. In my experience, the hens always picked at the chicks that they didn't raise and I would be worried that they would harm them instead of help them.

I have a friend who has Macaws and she keeps her chickens in the bird room because she thinks it's too cold for them to be outside.
hu.gif
I think they will be just fine!

Best wishes!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom