Just moved to ranch in TX and got 16 chicks!

rcahill

In the Brooder
Dec 10, 2019
We are new to chickens. We got 16 (2 days old) back on 10/16/19. We have 4 yellow Buff Orpingtons, 4 Barred Plymouth Rocks, 4 Araucanas and 4 Rhode Island Reds. I built a pretty cool coop. We just moved them into it 2 weeks ago. Things are going great. I think we have 1 rooster, maybe 2. We are doing this (1) to learn and experience it and (2) for eggs.

I'm into anything outdoors... fishing, tennis, volleyball, gardening, fires!, mountain biking, disc golf.... We have 2 dogs and that is a bit of a worry, but we have been trying to get them used to each other.

That's all for now. I'll be reading and learning and will post when needed!

Thx! Rob (Covington, TX)

Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC! Congrats on the new chicks. Did your dogs watch them grow from the beginning? I wonder if your dogs could be trained to see the chicks as their charge and protect them from predators. This would not work with my dog, who would have a chick or hen in her mouth in a heartbeat, so I keep mine safely penned away from her. I use electric wire to keep raccoons out, and unfortunately Ruby found it. What a drama queen!!! But, she wont do that again. I know it wasn't as bad as she said, because I have had a couple run ins with it my self. :lau I did let out a yelp! :barnie But, I didn't run around the entire yard crying. :lau Love my Ruby Sue, but I don't want her "playing" with my chickens like a squeeze toy!

Nice flock! I hope to see picks from you! :fl
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 12.24.47 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom