Just my luck… 😢

sbolerjack

Songster
Sep 19, 2022
Southwest Alabama
My ducks’ adult feathers are coming in. 2 of my 4 Rouens are drakes, and 2 of my 3 runners are drakes. I have one khaki that’s female and who knows what my one Pekin is at the moment. I hate having to get rid of some of my drakes, and I don’t think I can convince my husband to buy any more females. I’ve maxed out on his patience. They will be 13 weeks old this week. How long do I have before I will be forced to make a decision? 😢

I hate having to get rid of some of my drakes, and I don’t think I can convince my husband to buy any more females. I’ve maxed out on his patience. They will be 13 weeks old this week. How long do I have before I will be forced to make a decision? 😢

Years ago, I raised ducks for meat. So, I intended to butcher all my ducks at a certain age. What are your goals in raising your ducks? Meat? Eggs? Pets?

I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but here's my experience with runners.

When I chose my first four unsexed runner ducklings from the breeder, I ended up with three of the four being drakes. Because I'd heard that could be catastrophic for the lone female, as soon as I realized the potential problem, I went back to the breeder, who only had one girl of the right age that she would part with.

However, the original female seemed jealous of any attention the new girl got from the boys and would physically get between her suitors and her new "rival." And, the boys, having grown up with each other, rarely got into squabbles with each other. At most, there would be a bit of head batting, but no real injuries.

So, MAYBE things will work out on their own. Or, you could rig up separate quarters for the boys and girls. In past years, when a newer drake shook up the social order, that what I've had to do.

BTW, I love mine as pets, and they are good layers -- although they do take a winter break.

Good luck with yours!

I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but here's my experience with runners.

When I chose my first four unsexed runner ducklings from the breeder, I ended up with three of the four being drakes. Because I'd heard that could be catastrophic for the lone female, as soon as I realized the potential problem, I went back to the breeder, who only had one girl of the right age that she would part with.

However, the original female seemed jealous of any attention the new girl got from the boys and would physically get between her suitors and her new "rival." And, the boys, having grown up with each other, rarely got into squabbles with each other. At most, there would be a bit of head batting, but no real injuries.

So, MAYBE things will work out on their own. Or, you could rig up separate quarters for the boys and girls. In past years, when a newer drake shook up the social order, that what I've had to do.

BTW, I love mine as pets, and they are good layers -- although they do take a winter break.

Good luck with yours!
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I guess I will just play it by ear. Hopefully when mating season arrives, everything will have worked out.

My ducks’ adult feathers are coming in. 2 of my 4 Rouens are drakes, and 2 of my 3 runners are drakes. I have one khaki that’s female and who knows what my one Pekin is at the moment. I hate having to get rid of some of my drakes, and I don’t think I can convince my husband to buy any more females. I’ve maxed out on his patience. They will be 13 weeks old this week. How long do I have before I will be forced to make a decision? 😢
Do you have enough space to eventually separate the boys and girls?
You dont need to buy more girls if youre able to keep them in separate enclosures

You can join local poultry groups on Facebook and try to trade the drakes for some female. Either that or sell them on there and buy females with the money, I’ve had a similar problem before; and so far that’s that best solution I could think of

You can join local poultry groups on Facebook and try to trade the drakes for some female. Either that or sell them on there and buy females with the money, I’ve had a similar problem before; and so far that’s that best solution I could think of
:welcome

That is just comical. That is eggsactly what happened to me too! I wound up selling three mallard drakes to friends for freezer camp. Then I went about 4 months later and bought 4 more. Out of those I only got 2 females. 7 ducks, 4 being drakes! Ugh!

Back
Top Bottom