Just noticed a twisted leg in 4 week old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chemew, Mar 22, 2012.

1. chemew

chemew Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    from what i've been able to research, it seems like my chick has a slipped tendon. The joint is swollen and the leg / foot is set at 90 degrees. This didn't exist (or at least I didn't notice it) when they arrived. She is also about half the size of the other chicks which tells me she is not getting near the same amount to eat.

Most of the discussions revolve around week old or less chicks. Is it too late to do anything for this one? Can I still try to "fix" the tendon and then wrap the leg?

thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi chemew,

I hope you don't mind a fairly negative response, but I feel slipped tendon is almost impossible to fix at the best of times (if caught early), and just about completely a no-hoper later on.

Many apologies for saying this, but by all means listen out for other ideas.

I find with slipped tendon the hock joint is usually too swollen for any manipulation to have a hope at putting the tendon back. Then it usually slips out again, as it may be that the groove the tendon sits in is too narrow.

You could perhaps try straightening it a little and fixing it that way so she can at least stand on two feet (once the injury heals over with scar tissue), but frankly, she's going to be in pain.

Sorry again, but listen for other ideas as I'm no expert on all this,
    Erica

3. Im sorry but i would say cull, like what Erica said, its almost impossile to fix, sorry

in case you do cull, a sharp pair of scissors tends to be fastest and lest painful for the chick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by