Just old or sick?

juriches

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
I have a standard blue Cochin Rooster that is gentle as a lamb. He is 5 years old. About a month ago he started walking like he had a sore foot or joint. He would just stand or lay down and watch his hens from a distance. After about a week or so, he started walking normally although slowly. He has been crowing less and isn't chasing his hens as much. For the last few days, I've noticed that his comb as becoming dark purple and his wattles are dry and dark red. He either stands with his eyes closed or lays down and droops his head with his eyes closed. When the eyes are open, you can see the inner lid when he blinks. Today, he couldn't jump up to roost with his hens and he allowed me to pick him up and place him up with them. He has little appetite and has lost weight. Does any one know what the problem could be? Is he just getting near the end, or is his sick?

Last edited:
could be either. give him some chicken vitamins/ electrolyte solution to help give him some strenght to fight off an illness, I think time will tell with him, good luck. check for lice/mites ect..

I had a similar issue with my 9 month old Delaware pullet recently. ( she also stopped laying) Thought I was going to lose her. She ended up having an impacted crop. I took her into the house and ended up giving her a syringe full of olive oil 2x a day and then massage her crop. I put poly-vi-sol in her water as well. She ate some tuna and egg yolk. Also I read to give applesauce. Bridget loved it. Took a while before she "got rid" of what was in her crop. Has been about a week now and her appetite is good and her comb and wattles are pink again. Just am working on getting the weight back up. Keeping my fingers crossed all goes well. I do have a vet who will see my girls in case something else develops.

Good luck with your boy.

Back
Top Bottom